Deriving the Quadratic Equation Solution: A Closer Look at Completing the Square

In summary, the conversation is about finding a proof or derivation for the quadratic equation solution that is not the standard "add here multiply there" method. The conversation also mentions a potentially "cooler" proof that involves completing the square, but the exact method is not remembered. Different users suggest various methods, including the graphical approach and completing the square. However, the conversation ends without a definitive answer on the "cooler" proof.
ibc
Hey
I'm wondering if anyone can give me a proof to the quadratic equation solution which is not the simple add here multiply that proof

(I just recall some cooler proof, which I think requires more "complicated" mathematics than adding and multiplying, though I can't remember what it was)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ibc said:
Hey
I'm wondering if anyone can give me a proof to the quadratic equation solution which is not the simple add here multiply that proof

What do you mean by an "add here multiply that" proof?

Do you want a proof or a derivation?
For a proof, you can just plug
[tex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4 a c}}{2a}[/tex]
into the equation
[tex]a x^2 + b x + c[/tex]
and show that both give zero.

One derivation (the standard one, I think) is given here, for example. If there is any cooler one, I'd love to see it.

CompuChip said:
Do you want a proof or a derivation?
For a proof, you can just plug
[tex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4 a c}}{2a}[/tex]
into the equation
[tex]a x^2 + b x + c[/tex]
and show that both give zero.

One derivation (the standard one, I think) is given here, for example. If there is any cooler one, I'd love to see it.

I mean a derivation.
by "add here multiply there" i mean the derivation given above.
and I'd like to see the cooler one too, or maybe I'm wrong and there isn't one, but I strongly recall there is.

There are generally lots of ways to prove any mathematical fact. But I would guess you're trying to remember a derivation that completes the square.

Hurkyl said:
There are generally lots of ways to prove any mathematical fact. But I would guess you're trying to remember a derivation that completes the square.

nope, that one is practically the same as the one mentioned here (or is it the same? don't know the name of each action =x )

what I'm thinking of is conceptually different one, though if none of you guys heard of it, maybe I'm only dreaming.

ax²+bx+c=0

Taking 'a' common,
a{x²+(b/a)x+(c/a)}=0

Since a is not equal to 0, so
x²+(b/a)x+(c/a)=0

{x+(b/2a)}²+(c/a)-(b/2a)²=0

{x+(b/2a)}²+(c/a)-(b²/4a²)=0

{x+(b/2a)}²=(b²/4a²)-(c/a)

{x+(b/2a)}²=(b²-4ac)/4a²

{x+(b/2a)}=±√{(b²-4ac)/4a²}

x=(b/2a)±√{(b²-4ac)/4a²}

x={-b±√(b²-4ac)}/2a

e.g. x²+3x+4=0

(x+3/2)²+4-(3/2)²=0

It's simple.

Sandee said:
ax²+bx+c=0

Taking 'a' common,
a{x²+(b/a)x+(c/a)}=0

Since a is not equal to 0, so
x²+(b/a)x+(c/a)=0

{x+(b/2a)}²+(c/a)-(b/2a)²=0

{x+(b/2a)}²+(c/a)-(b²/4a²)=0

{x+(b/2a)}²=(b²/4a²)-(c/a)

{x+(b/2a)}²=(b²-4ac)/4a²

{x+(b/2a)}=±√{(b²-4ac)/4a²}

x=(b/2a)±√{(b²-4ac)/4a²}

x={-b±√(b²-4ac)}/2a

e.g. x²+3x+4=0

(x+3/2)²+4-(3/2)²=0

It's simple.

Yes, it is. But I imagine that was what ibc was referring to as an "add here multiply there" proof. Apparently he wants one that is more difficult!

The most easily understandable derivation for the solution of a quadratic equation is based on "completing the square". This can also be shown graphically. Part of the derivation relies on the fact that you can "complete" the square and then undo the process. The algebraic steps are fairly straight-forward. Many/most intermediate algebra books show a derivation, some with the graphical picture, some without.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, in which the highest power of the variable is a square. The general form of a quadratic equation is ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

Quadratic equations can be solved using the quadratic formula, factoring, or completing the square. The quadratic formula is the most common method and is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Simply plug in the values of a, b, and c into the formula and solve for x.

3. What are the different types of solutions for a quadratic equation?

There are three types of solutions for a quadratic equation: real and distinct, real and equal, and complex. Real solutions are when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is greater than or equal to 0, while complex solutions occur when the discriminant is less than 0.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can only have a maximum of two solutions. This is because a quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it has a maximum of two roots or solutions.

5. How are quadratic equations used in real life?

Quadratic equations have many real-life applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the maximum or minimum value of a function, and solving optimization problems. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.