Fast Fourier Transform graph

In summary, the two graphs represent sound data and show that there is a repeating pattern in the pressure data over time. Additionally, there are only two significant frequencies present, with spikes at 512Hz and 1025Hz and a small one at ~2100Hz. The data does not show any pressure variations, and it is unlikely that a tuning fork with a frequency of 512Hz was played during the data collection.
kendie16

Homework Statement

Which of the following things are true given the sound data that is represented in the two graphs above? Select ALL that are true. (One graph of Sound Pressure v Time with what looks like a repeating pattern & one graph of Amplitude v Frequency with 2 large spikes at 512Hz and 1025 Hz and one very small at ~2100 Hz, straight line between these).

1. The pressure data contains a pattern which repeats over time.

2. The sound pressure data shows that there are no pressure variations measured.

3. There are only two significant frequencies present in this sound.

4. This sound wave suggests that when the data was collected it is possible that a tuning fork was played that had a frequency of 512 Hz.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is new to me, introduced briefly in a lab, and I get the idea that it picks out different sound frequencies and shows their amplitude. Based on the info I was given, I'm not sure of the answer. I thought 1 and 3 at first because of the repeat pattern and 2 major frequencies, but that was wrong. Then I added 2, even though I have no idea if it shows this, but that was wrong too. I don't think 4 is part of the answer as a tuning fork would only have one frequency, right? Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
. 1. The pressure data contains a pattern which repeats over time.3. There are only two significant frequencies present in this sound.

I cannot provide a direct answer to this question without more information about the graphs and the sound data being represented. However, I can provide some guiding questions and information to help you understand the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) and its applications.

Firstly, the FFT is a mathematical algorithm used to analyze signals and extract information about their frequency components. It takes a time-domain signal (such as the one shown in the first graph) and converts it into a frequency-domain representation (such as the one shown in the second graph). This allows us to see the different frequencies present in the signal and their corresponding amplitudes.

Now, let's go through the statements one by one and see if we can determine which ones are true.

1. The pressure data contains a pattern which repeats over time.

This statement is likely true, as the FFT is often used to analyze signals with repeating patterns, such as sound waves. However, we cannot make a definitive conclusion without more information about the specific data being represented.

2. The sound pressure data shows that there are no pressure variations measured.

This statement is likely false, as it is highly unlikely that a sound wave would have no pressure variations. It is possible that the signal being analyzed is very steady and does not have significant pressure variations, but we cannot make a definitive conclusion without more information.

3. There are only two significant frequencies present in this sound.

This statement is likely true, as the second graph shows two large spikes at 512 Hz and 1025 Hz. These spikes represent the dominant frequencies present in the sound. However, we cannot make a definitive conclusion without more information about the specific data being represented.

4. This sound wave suggests that when the data was collected it is possible that a tuning fork was played that had a frequency of 512 Hz.

This statement is possible, but we cannot make a definitive conclusion without more information. It is possible that the signal being analyzed is from a tuning fork with a frequency of 512 Hz, but it could also be from another source with a similar frequency. Additionally, the straight line between the two spikes could indicate the presence of other frequencies in the sound. Again, we cannot make a definitive conclusion without more information.

In summary, the FFT graph can provide valuable information about the frequency components present in a signal, but without more information about the specific data being represented, we cannot make definitive conclusions about the statements provided. I would recommend seeking more information about the data and the

What is a Fast Fourier Transform graph?

A Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) graph is a type of plot that shows the frequency components of a signal. It is used to analyze and visualize the frequency content of a waveform or time series data.

How is a Fast Fourier Transform graph calculated?

A Fast Fourier Transform graph is calculated using a mathematical algorithm called the Fast Fourier Transform. This algorithm converts a signal from its original time domain into its frequency domain, allowing us to see the different frequencies that make up the signal.

What is the difference between a FFT graph and a regular frequency domain graph?

The main difference between a FFT graph and a regular frequency domain graph is the speed of calculation. A FFT graph uses an efficient algorithm to compute the frequency components of a signal, making it much faster than traditional methods. Additionally, a FFT graph typically displays a larger number of frequency components compared to a regular frequency domain graph.

What is the significance of the peak values in a FFT graph?

The peak values in a FFT graph represent the dominant frequencies in the signal. These peaks can provide valuable information about the characteristics of the signal, such as the presence of specific frequencies or the overall frequency distribution.

How is a FFT graph used in different fields of science?

A Fast Fourier Transform graph is a commonly used tool in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, biology, and finance. It can be used to analyze and understand signals from a wide range of sources, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and stock market data. In each field, FFT graphs can provide valuable insights and aid in data analysis and interpretation.