Clearance with centripetal force relationship to freq, radius, and mass.

In summary: This means that the frequency will decrease, but the centripetal force will remain constant. In summary, when adding washers to a string passing through a glass tube, the force of gravity and centripetal force will increase, leading to an increase in frequency. However, adding another stopper will not change the centripetal force or frequency, but will cause a decrease in acceleration and frequency due to an increase in mass.
ha9981
I was doing a lab in which i had a string passing through a glass tube, on one end we had washers while on the other end we had a rubber stopper. Now i understand that the washer will have force of gravity on them which will create tension which will be the centripetal force. So when i begin adding washers the force of gravity increases and so does the centripetal force while the radius remains constant. This obviously means that the frequency must increase!

Now here is where my understanding problem comes in. If i add another stopper meaning increase the mass of the object in uniform circular motion while the radius, and mass of washers ind the frequency is constant what will happen? Will centripetal force increase, is it no longer constant? but centripetal force is due to tension which is due to washers mass experiencing gravity! will it grow? if so why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adding another stopper will not change the centripetal force or the frequency. The centripetal force is determined by the tension in the string and the mass of the washers, and adding another stopper does not change either of these factors. However, the mass of the entire system will increase, which will cause the acceleration of the system to decrease as the mass increases.

Your understanding of the relationship between centripetal force, frequency, radius, and mass is correct. As you add more washers, the force of gravity and therefore the centripetal force increases, causing the frequency to also increase. However, when you add another stopper, the mass of the object in uniform circular motion increases, but the frequency remains constant. This means that the centripetal force will also increase, as it is directly proportional to mass. The tension in the string will also increase, as it is dependent on the mass of the object experiencing gravity. This is because the added mass will experience a greater force of gravity, leading to a stronger tension in the string. So, to answer your question, the centripetal force will increase and it is no longer constant, as it is affected by both the mass and the frequency.

What is clearance with centripetal force relationship?

Clearance with centripetal force relationship refers to the distance between an object and its rotational axis, while also considering the force that is required to keep the object moving in a circular path.

How does frequency affect clearance with centripetal force?

As frequency increases, the clearance with centripetal force decreases. This means that as an object rotates faster, the distance between the object and its rotational axis decreases.

What is the relationship between radius and clearance with centripetal force?

The relationship between radius and clearance with centripetal force is inverse. This means that as the radius increases, the clearance with centripetal force decreases. This is because a larger radius means a larger circular path, therefore requiring a larger force to maintain the object's motion.

How does mass affect clearance with centripetal force?

The relationship between mass and clearance with centripetal force is indirect. As mass increases, the clearance with centripetal force also increases. This is because a more massive object requires a greater force to maintain its circular motion.

What is the formula for calculating clearance with centripetal force?

The formula for calculating clearance with centripetal force is: C = (m * v^2)/Fc, where C is the clearance, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and Fc is the centripetal force.