Matrix of a linear transformation

In summary, to find a basis of Rn such that the matrix B of a given linear transformation T is diagonal, for a reflection T about a line in R^3 spanned by (1,1,1), we can choose two vectors perpendicular to the line and one parallel. The resulting B matrix would be 1 -1 1 1 0 -1 1 1 0. To find the matrix T in this basis, we can write A in terms of the basis vectors and then transform back to the original basis if needed.
succubus
Find a basis of Rn such that the matrix B of the given linear transformation T is diagonal.

Orthogonal Projection T onto the line in R^3 spanned by
(1 1 1)

I'm assuming (though I tend to be wrong) that I need to find a vector that is parallel to the line and 2 that are perpendicular to it and linearly independent.

So would the B matrix look something like this

1 -2 1

1 1 0

1 1 -1

?

Or am I once again way off track :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Succubus
misread question... run with mazes comments

Last edited:
succubus said:
Find a basis of Rn such that the matrix B of the given linear transformation T is diagonal.

Orthogonal Projection T onto the line in R^3 spanned by
(1 1 1)

I'm assuming (though I tend to be wrong) that I need to find a vector that is parallel to the line and 2 that are perpendicular to it and linearly independent.

So would the B matrix look something like this

1 -2 1

1 1 0

1 1 -1

?

Or am I once again way off track :)

Looks good. A few follow up questions worth thinking about would be,
1) If you write a vector in the basis B, v = v1 (1 1 1)T + v2 (-2 1 1)T + v3 (1 0 -1)T, then what is Tv in this basis?
2) What is the matrix T in the basis B?
3) What would go wrong if the second vector in B was not perpendicular to the first one?

*extra challenge*4) What is T in the standard basis (1,0,0)T, (0,1,0)T, (0,0,1)T? Can you write the projection matrix in terms of an outer product (ie: T = q qT for some vector q)?

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, what is it was a reflection instead of a projection? Let's say a reflection about the plane (1 1 1) Would I do the same procedure?

hi succubus - do you mean the reflection in the plane through the origin, with normal vector (1,1,1) ?

if so, you can look at your previous vectors (2 perpindicular and 1 parallel to (1,1,1)).

Say v1= (1,1,1), this will be mapped to (-1,-1,-1). Whilst the perpindicular vectors (v2,v3) will be mapped to themselves,as they are in the plane of reflection

so you know
[tex] A.v_1 = -v_1 [/tex]
[tex] A.v_2 = v_2 [/tex]
[tex] A.v_3 = v_3 [/tex]

can you write A in the basis of v1,v2,v3? then you can you transform to the original basis if needed...

Thanks! But the problem is

Reflection T about the line in R^3 spanned by
(1 1 1)

I accidentally put plane! I'm sorry.

So I would find 2 vectors perpendicular to the line and 1 parallel? I think I see it, but I don't understand exactly why. :/

So it would be

1 -1 1
1 0 -1
1 1 0

?

hmm.. ok, so i assume it will reflect any vector u, in a plane parallel to (1,1,1)
and if we write
[tex] u = v+ \lambda(1,1,1) [/tex] for some unqiue [tex] v, \lambda [/tex] for every u
v will be normal to the plane of reflection...(someone correct me if i am wrong)

as before, say you have vectors
v1 - parallel (1,1,1)
v2 - perp (1,1,1)
v3 - perp (1,1,1) (v3 not equal v2)

in this case
[tex] A.v_1 = v_1 [/tex]
[tex] A.v_2 = -v_2 [/tex]
[tex] A.v_3 = -v_3 [/tex]

then comments as before

1. What is a matrix of a linear transformation?

The matrix of a linear transformation is a representation of a linear transformation in terms of matrices. It is a way to express a linear transformation using a set of numbers arranged in a rectangular grid.

2. How is a matrix of a linear transformation calculated?

To calculate the matrix of a linear transformation, you need to apply the transformation to the standard basis vectors in the domain and then write the resulting vectors as columns of a matrix. This matrix is the matrix of the linear transformation.

3. What is the significance of the matrix of a linear transformation?

The matrix of a linear transformation is significant because it provides a way to easily represent and manipulate linear transformations using matrices. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How can the matrix of a linear transformation be used to solve problems?

The matrix of a linear transformation can be used to solve problems such as finding the image of a vector under the transformation, finding the inverse of the transformation, and determining the rank and nullity of the transformation. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and perform matrix operations.

5. Can the matrix of a linear transformation be used for non-linear transformations?

No, the matrix of a linear transformation can only be used for linear transformations. Non-linear transformations cannot be represented using a matrix as they do not follow the properties of linearity.