Question about the effect of c on light

• Thread starter crapola77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of traveling at the speed of light and its effects on light and matter. It explains how light always travels at the same speed, regardless of the observer's velocity, and how time passes differently in different reference frames. The conversation also touches on the concept of refraction and the medium refraction index.
crapola77
hi i have a loose knowledge of physics and was wondering if anyone could help me with a question i have... IF one was able to travel the speed light, in the same orientation of a beam of light, would that light beam become matter from your frame of reference? or would it speed away from you at 186 million miles an hour?

Physics news on Phys.org
IF one was able to travel the speed light,

That's the question Einstein asked himself at age 16.
At about age 26 he had the answer: The special theory of relativity: you cannot catch up with light. No matter how fast you move, light is still always observed at the same "c". It's one of the strangest classical phenomena, not at all intuitive, but has been experimentally verified with great accuracy.

got it, so let's say the sun collapses into a black hole in a couple minutes and i begin to fall into it with a flashlight, my flashlight still works?

or rather if i fall backwards into the black hole at nearly the speed of light,or even the speed of light, my flashlight still sends a beam of light away from me at c?

crapola77 said:
got it, so let's say the sun collapses into a black hole in a couple minutes and i begin to fall into it with a flashlight, my flashlight still works?
Yes. No matter what fraction of the speed of light you achieve with respect to some external reference point, you will experience nothing untoward happen to your flashlight. Light will leave it at the speed of light.

ok, so if your external frame of reference by which you measure your speed to be c is let's say a star of a beam light, does the light which travels toward your eyes still travel toward you at the speed of light, despite the fact that you measure yourself traveling away from the light source at the speed of light

crapola77 said:
ok, so if your external frame of reference by which you measure your speed to be c is let's say a star of a beam light, does the light which travels toward your eyes still travel toward you at the speed of light, despite the fact that you measure yourself traveling away from the light source at the speed of light

You cannot travel at the speed of light. You can only approach arbitrarily closely.

But yes, the beam of light will approach you at the speed of light.

DaveC426913 said:
You cannot travel at the speed of light. You can only approach arbitrarily closely.

ok ok but not considering that, because the fact that you can't subtract your velocity from light's at all seams to be the point, if you travel even 1mi an hr away from light it does not take the effect of allowing you to measure the speed of light going 1mi an hour less than it did when you were at rest. i assume its impossible to add you velocity with light's as well, which is to say if you travel at the speed of light towards a light source its light still travelstowards you at c

crapola77 said:
hi i have a loose knowledge of physics and was wondering if anyone could help me with a question i have... IF one was able to travel the speed light, in the same orientation of a beam of light, would that light beam become matter from your frame of reference? or would it speed away from you at 186 million miles an hour?

In fact, in a transparent medium with n>1 the light travels with v<c, and there are particles faster than that (charged particles radiate the Cherenkov's radiation, neutral ones do not radiate).

whats n, sorry

crapola77 said:
whats n, sorry

N is the medium refraction index. Used in the Snell equation, for example.

crapola77 said:
ok ok but not considering that, because the fact that you can't subtract your velocity from light's at all seams to be the point, if you travel even 1mi an hr away from light it does not take the effect of allowing you to measure the speed of light going 1mi an hour less than it did when you were at rest. i assume its impossible to add you velocity with light's as well, which is to say if you travel at the speed of light towards a light source its light still travelstowards you at c

Whether you move away/toward the source of the light at 1 mile per hour or 669 million miles per hour, you will measure the speed of the light form the source at c.

The reason this is possible is that time passes differently in the two reference frames. At 99.9% of the speed of light, your frame of reference is basically slowed down by 99.9% (an over simplification) so that the light is still measured by you as c.

What is the effect of c on light?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in physics. Its value is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This means that light travels at this speed regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

How does the speed of light affect the behavior of light?

The speed of light affects the behavior of light in various ways. For example, the speed of light determines the wavelength and frequency of light waves. It also determines the energy and momentum of individual photons, which are the fundamental particles of light.

Why is the speed of light considered to be a universal constant?

The speed of light is considered to be a universal constant because it is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities. This is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers.

What is the significance of the speed of light in modern physics?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in many areas of modern physics. It is a fundamental constant in Einstein's theory of relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It is also essential in quantum mechanics, where it is used to calculate the energy and momentum of particles.

Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to our current understanding of physics, the speed of light cannot be exceeded. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, and an infinite amount of energy would be required to accelerate it further. However, some theories propose the existence of particles called tachyons that can travel faster than the speed of light, but their existence has not been proven.