Is there a relationship between these numbers from the Phi function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Phi function in mathematics coursework and its relation to certain numbers. The speaker mentions specific examples, such as Φ(4²) = 2, and questions if there is a general formula for all numbers. Another person responds with two known formulas for the Phi function and suggests using the prime factorization of a number to compute phi(x). The original speaker expresses appreciation and plans to conduct further testing.
Lokolo
Doing maths cousework, Phi Function and i came out with these numbers (i dnt no if it has anything do to with phi number yet)

i) Φ (4²) = Φ(16) = 2
ii) Φ (6²) = Φ(36) = 12
iii) Φ (8²) = Φ(64) = 32

its looks as if there could b a relatonship between them but i can't see one, can you?
thanks

Lokolo

Physics news on Phys.org
phi(16) != 2, since 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 are all coprime to 16. phi(16) = 8.

opps yeh sorry, so do you think there will be a general forumla? i have got one for prime squares
Φ(p²) = p² - p
where p = prime
but not one for all others

Well... phi(ab) = phi(a)phi(b) if a and b are relatively prime, and phi(p^n) = p^n - p^(n - 1) where p is a prime and n a natural number. Those are the ones I know of. And of course, those two formulas taken together provide an easy way to compute phi(x) if you know the prime factorization of x.

Last edited:
wow, i have a lot of testin to do...
thanks muzza

1. What is the importance of communication in any relationship?

Communication is crucial in any relationship as it allows individuals to express their thoughts, feelings, and needs. It also helps to build trust, understanding, and connection between two people. Good communication can prevent misunderstandings and conflicts, and promote healthy and fulfilling relationships.

2. How can trust be developed in a relationship?

Trust is built over time through consistent and honest communication, respect, and mutual understanding. It is also important for individuals to be reliable and keep their promises to each other. Trust is the foundation of a strong and healthy relationship, and without it, the relationship may struggle.

3. What role does compromise play in a relationship?

Compromise is essential in any relationship as it allows individuals to find a middle ground and meet each other's needs. It requires open communication, understanding, and empathy. Compromise shows that both parties are willing to work together and make sacrifices for the relationship to thrive.

4. How can conflicts be resolved in a relationship?

Conflicts are a natural part of any relationship, and it is important to address them in a healthy and productive manner. This involves actively listening to each other, expressing feelings and needs, and finding a solution that works for both parties. It is also important to take responsibility for one's actions and apologize when necessary.

5. What are some signs of a healthy relationship?

A healthy relationship is characterized by open communication, trust, mutual respect, and support. Both individuals feel comfortable being themselves and are able to express their thoughts and feelings without fear of judgment. They also have a balance of individuality and togetherness, and both parties feel happy and fulfilled in the relationship.