How many drops in all the oceans?

• Thread starter Lemniscate
  • Start date
In summary, The question asks for the number of drops of water in all the oceans on Earth, and assuming 1cm^3 contains 25 drops, the solution would involve finding the volume of water in the oceans by using surface area and depth measurements. After correcting a mistake in the calculations, the final answer is 1.44 x 10^14 cm ^3, which would then be multiplied by 25 to get the total number of drops.
Lemniscate

Homework Statement

Simple question, but I don't know how to correctly approach it.

How many drops of water are in all the oceans on earth? Assume that 1cm^3 contains 25 drops of water.

Homework Equations

The average depth of the ocean is 4 km. I know I will have to convert to cm.
Radius of Earth: 6400 km
About 70% of the Earth is covered by oceans.

The Attempt at a Solution

Need help setting up the problem correctly.
I've tried various things. I'm not sure if I have to use the surface area of a sphere or the volume of a sphere.

I have to subtract the depth of the oceans (4km) from 6400km...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the surface area of the earth, then take the proportion of this that is covered by water.
Then imagine unrolling this areas as a flat map, not find the volume of a slab of water of this flat area and 4km high.

Then convert km^3 to cm^3

mgb_phys,
by doing what you advised, I obtained a surface area of 5.15 x 10^8 km^2 times .70, which gave me a total of 3.6 x 10^8 km^2 roughly.

3.6 x 10^8 km^2 times 4 km for the depth gives me a volume of 1.44 x 10^14 cm ^3 (once I conver to cm).

Am I missing something? Because this is not the correct answer.

The question is asking me for the amount of drops of water. I should be multiplying my final answer, 1.44 x 10^14 cm ^3, by 25 (1cm^3 = 25 drops).

Where am I making a mistake?

1 km^3 = (1 00 000 cm)*(1 00 000 cm)*(1 00 000 cm)=10^15 cm^3, not 10^5 cm^3.

Oops. I see what I did wrong.

Thanks to both of you!

1. How many drops of water are in all the oceans?

The exact number of drops in all the oceans is impossible to determine as it is constantly changing due to factors such as evaporation and precipitation. However, it is estimated that there are approximately 1.3 quintillion (1.3 x 10^18) drops of water in all the oceans combined.

2. How big is a drop of water?

A drop of water varies in size depending on the temperature and atmospheric pressure, but on average it is about 0.05 mL in volume. This is equivalent to 0.05 grams of water.

3. Can all the drops in the oceans be counted?

No, it is not possible to count all the drops in the oceans due to the vastness and constantly changing nature of the oceans. Additionally, counting individual drops would be an extremely time-consuming and tedious task.

4. How long would it take for all the drops in the oceans to evaporate?

It is difficult to determine an exact time frame as it would depend on various factors such as temperature, humidity, and surface area of the oceans. However, it is estimated that it would take several thousand years for all the drops in the oceans to evaporate.

5. How many drops of water are in a cubic meter of ocean water?

The number of drops in a cubic meter of ocean water would vary depending on the size of the drops and the salinity of the water. On average, there are approximately 35 drops in a milliliter of seawater, so a cubic meter (1,000,000 mL) would contain around 35 million drops.