Continuous functions in metric spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving the continuity of a function between metric spaces using different metrics. The goal is to find a number \psi(\epsilon)>0 that satisfies the given conditions and shows that the function is continuous with respect to both metrics. This can be achieved by choosing \psi(\epsilon) such that \frac{\psi(\epsilon)}{1-\psi(\epsilon)}<\delta(\epsilon).
boneill3
Hi guy's I know this is more of a homework question, I posted a similar thread earlier on but I think I ended up confusing myself.

I need to show that a function is continuous between metric spaces. I'll post the question and what I've done any tips on moving forward would be great.

I have any metric spaces
[itex] (X,\rho) [/itex]
and
[itex](Y, \theta)[/itex]

And a metric space
[itex](X,\bar\rho)[/itex]
where
[itex]
\bar\rho:X \times X \Rightarrow R_{0}^{+}, (x,y) \Rightarrow \frac{\rho(x,y)}{1+\rho(x,y)}.
[/itex]

I have got to show the following

Let [itex](Y, \theta)[/itex]
be a metric space.
Prove that.
[itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex]
is continuous with respect to [itex]\bar\rho[/itex] if and only if it is continuous with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex]

I have been given that [itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex]
is continuous with respect to [itex](X,\rho)[/itex]

So I know that for some [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex] \epsilon > 0[/itex]

that
[itex]{\rho}(z,b) < \delta \rightarrow \theta(f(z),f(b)) < \epsilon[/itex]

I need to show that for some[itex] \psi > 0[/itex] that

[itex]{\bar\rho}(x,a)<\psi \rightarrow \theta(f(x),f(a)) <\epsilon[/itex]

Can some one please show me how to go about finding [itex]\psi[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fix a in X. To show continuity at a, given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], you need to find a number [itex]\psi(\epsilon)>0[/itex] such that

[itex]{\bar\rho}(x,a)=\frac{\rho(x,a)}{1+\rho(x,a)}<\psi(\epsilon) \Rightarrow \theta(f(x),f(a)) <\epsilon[/itex]

knowing that there exists a number [itex]\delta(\epsilon)>0[/itex] such that

[itex]{\rho}(x,a) < \delta(\epsilon) \Rightarrow \theta(f(x),f(a)) < \epsilon[/itex]

Notice that, just by algebra, we have that

[tex]\frac{\rho(x,a)}{1+\rho(x,a)}<\psi (\epsilon)\Leftrightarrow \rho(x,a)<\frac{\psi(\epsilon)}{1-\psi (\epsilon)}[/tex]

So, surely, if you can chose [tex]\psi(\epsilon)[/tex] such that

[tex]\frac{\psi(\epsilon)}{1-\psi (\epsilon)}<\delta(\epsilon)[/tex]

then you will have won, yes?

1. What is a continuous function in a metric space?

A continuous function in a metric space is a function between two metric spaces that preserves the metric structure. This means that small changes in the input result in small changes in the output, and that the function does not have any abrupt changes or jumps. It is a fundamental concept in the study of metric spaces and is used to define important properties such as compactness and connectedness.

2. How is continuity defined in a metric space?

In a metric space, a function f is continuous at a point x if for every ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that for all points y in the domain of f, if d(x, y) < δ, then d(f(x), f(y)) < ε. This means that for any small enough distance ε, there is a corresponding distance δ such that any points within that distance from x will have images within ε of f(x). This definition can be extended to continuity on a set, where the function is continuous at every point in the set.

3. What is the importance of continuous functions in metric spaces?

Continuous functions are important in metric spaces as they allow us to define and study important properties such as compactness and connectedness. They also play a crucial role in the study of analysis, topology, and other branches of mathematics. Many real-world applications also involve continuous functions, making them a fundamental concept in various fields of science and engineering.

4. How do you prove that a function is continuous in a metric space?

To prove that a function is continuous in a metric space, we need to show that it satisfies the definition of continuity. This involves choosing an arbitrary ε > 0 and finding a corresponding δ > 0 such that the condition for continuity is met. This can be done by using the properties of the metric space and the function itself. If we can find the appropriate δ for any given ε, then the function is continuous in that metric space.

5. Can a function be continuous in one metric space but not in another?

Yes, a function can be continuous in one metric space but not in another. This is because the definition of continuity depends on the metric structure of the space, which can vary from one metric space to another. A function may be continuous in one space because the distances between points are defined differently, but when mapped to another space with a different metric, the function may no longer satisfy the continuity condition. Therefore, continuity is a property that is specific to a particular metric space.