Troubleshooting Level Curves: Tips for Sketching and Graphing

In summary, the conversation is about having trouble with sketching a level curve for the equation f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2. The person is unable to run or graph the equation and is having difficulty finding a solution. They are seeking help in understanding how to sketch the level curve and are given a method involving setting z as a constant and sketching ellipses for different values of z. The final result is described as a paraboloid.
ezdn
im having trouble with sketching a level curve

ex. equation: f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2

i can't run it .. (edit: sorry, -cant run it by matlab) .. :(

cant solve can't graph can't all ... in short, can't any attempt at a solution :(((
thank for your help ..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ezdn said:
1. I am having trouble with sketching a level curve

2. ex. equation: f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2

i can't run it :(

3. can't any attempt at a solution :(((
What do you mean you can't "run it?"

Level curves are two-dimensional slices of a surface in three dimensions. Pick several values for z and sketch graphs of the resulting curves.

For example, if z = 0, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = 0 look like?
If z = 1, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = 1 look like?
If z = -1, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = -1 look like?

And so on...

ezdn said:
im having trouble with sketching a level curve

ex. equation: f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2

i can't run it :( can't solve can't graph can't all ... in short, can't any attempt at a solution :(((

thank for your help ..

When I had to sketch level curves, my teacher showed me a nice and easy to understand method:
Your equation is f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 . Write it as z = x^2+2y^2
which could also be re-written as z=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2)

Now that you have a clearer idea of what this could represent : if z=k a constant then for a certain z you have an ellipse of k=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2)
Sketch it for some values and then connect the elements together. Since z can't be negative (x and y are both squared) it will be something like a parabola going up in the z-dir. So I guess it is a paraboloid, where each "slice" taken in z=k plane is an ellipse given by k=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2).

thank you for your attention :)

1. What is a level curve?

A level curve is a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional surface. It is a curve that connects points on a surface that have the same value for a given variable.

2. How do you sketch a level curve?

To sketch a level curve, you first need to choose a variable to represent on the curve. Then, you can select a range of values for that variable and plot points on the surface that have the same value. You can then connect these points to create the level curve.

3. What information can be gained from a level curve?

A level curve can provide information about the behavior of a function or surface. It can show the points of maximum or minimum values, as well as the shape and direction of the surface in a particular area.

4. How are level curves related to contour maps?

Level curves and contour maps are closely related. A contour map is a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional surface, similar to a level curve. However, a contour map includes multiple level curves, showing different values for the variable represented.

5. Can level curves be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, level curves can be used in various fields such as geography, geology, and meteorology. In these fields, level curves are often used to represent elevation, temperature, or atmospheric pressure on a map.