Double Slits - Measuring Wavelength from the number of bright fringes

In summary, we are given a double-slit interference pattern with a screen 1.0m behind two slits placed 0.3mm apart. Ten bright fringes span a distance of 1.65cm. To find the wavelength of the light, we use the formula (m+1/2)LaTeX Code: \\lambda = \\frac{dsin\\theta}{m+1/2}, where d = 3E-4m, m = 9, and y = 1.65cm. This gives us a wavelength of 5.5E-7m
Glorzifen

Homework Statement

A double-slit interference pattern is observed on a screen 1.0m behind two slits placed on 0.3mm apart. Ten bright fringes span a distance of 1.65cm. What is the wavelength of the light?

Homework Equations

Since we're looking at bright fringes:
(m+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex] = dsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = d(x/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

d = 3E-4m
m = 4 (I feel like I'm supposed to use just one half of the bands, excluding the middle band. Is this right? Why do I do this?)
L = 1.0m
y = 8.25E-3m (this is the spread of the 10 fringes divided by 2 since I'm using half of them)

(m+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex] = d(x/L)
(4+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 3E-4(8.25E-3/1.0)
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 5.5E-7m

On my formula sheet there is an 'x'...the variable for the spread of the fringes is traditionally 'y'...I figured they were just the same thing so used y for x in the above example. If that's wrong then could someone explain where I get 'x' from? Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized that (m+1/2) is for DARK fringes. Would that be correct for dark fringes at least?

If you use m=4 that is 4+4+1 which only gives you 9 fringes. The question doesn't say these are all the possible fringes, maybe only a part of all fringes. What I would do is use m= 9 (that is 10 because we include m=0) and use distance y as 1.65cm. And yes you are supposed to use (m)LaTeX Code: \\lambda

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen placed behind the slits.

2. How does the double slit experiment measure wavelength?

The double slit experiment measures wavelength by using the known distance between the two slits and the distance between the slits and the screen to calculate the distance between the bright fringes on the interference pattern. This distance is then used in the equation λ = ds/L, where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the slits, and L is the distance from the slits to the screen.

3. What is the significance of the number of bright fringes in the double slit experiment?

The number of bright fringes in the double slit experiment is directly related to the wavelength of the light being used. This allows scientists to measure the wavelength of light without directly measuring it, which can be difficult in some cases.

4. Can the double slit experiment be used to measure the wavelength of any type of light?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be used to measure the wavelength of any type of light, as long as the light can be directed through the two slits and creates an interference pattern on the screen. This includes visible light, as well as other types of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays.

5. What other applications does the double slit experiment have?

The double slit experiment has many applications in physics, including studying the wave-like nature of other particles like electrons and atoms. It is also used in various technologies such as diffraction gratings, which are used in optical devices like spectrometers and telescopes. The experiment has also been used to study the behavior of waves in other non-light related systems, such as water waves and sound waves.