Particle collisions (4 momentum)

In summary, the particle accelerator collision results in two massive particles, one with a mass of 800 GeV and another particle with unknown mass. The conservation of 4-momentum dictates that the maximum mass of the unknown particle is reduced if a 10,000 GeV muon- is collided with a stationary muon+.
Minus1
A particle accelerator collides 5000 GeV muon+ with 5000 GeV muon- particles, producing two massive particles in the final state, one with a mass of 800 GeV and another particle with unknown mass m.

a) write down the initial and final state momentum vectors

b) by using the conservation of 4-momentum, compute the maximum value m could be

c) without calculation explain why this maximum mass is reduced if a 10,000 GeV muon- is collided with a stationary muon+

I tried to attempt the question but i was put off by the way they have written mass, usually i see it as ...GeV/c^2 but there was no c^2, and secondly I am not told about the final states or the velocities so basically I am completely lost,

Any help at all please!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, when the mass is given in units of eV, it is implied you divide the c^2 out.

First write out the 4-momentum final vector so we can see if you are doing it right. You can solve for the unknowns later.

EDIT: I am confused about the mass of your first product. I am assuming it is rest mass?

Last edited:
nickjer said:
Also, when the mass is given in units of eV, it is implied you divide the c^2 out.

First write out the 4-momentum final vector so we can see if you are doing it right. You can solve for the unknowns later.

EDIT: I am confused about the mass of your first product. I am assuming it is rest mass?

this is what i would write as the 4 vectors, in the lab frame they would be,
P(1)=(5000GeV/c,5000GeV/c^2.v,0,0) =>first muon+
P(2)=(5000GeV/c,-5000GeV/c^2.v,0,0)=> 2nd muon-

i assumed the initial speeds were the same as they had identical energies
therefore P1+P2= (10000GeV/c,0,0,0)

and as for the product i haven't been told whether it is rest mass or not, this is the full question

it doesn't feel right though, but to be honest anything i do doesn't feel right and I've got my exam in two days

Your momentum values are wrong. But since you know the muons are heading towards each other, then you have

[tex]\vec{p}_1+\vec{p}_2 = 0[/tex]

So you get the same total initial 4 momentum as you wrote.

nickjer said:
Your momentum values are wrong. But since you know the muons are heading towards each other, then you have

[tex]\vec{p}_1+\vec{p}_2 = 0[/tex]

So you get the same total initial 4 momentum as you wrote.

could you please tell me what I am doing wrong, its really getting to me, i thought the momentum was (gamma).m.v, gamma.m=5000Gev and v is just the velocity, what am i doing wrong?

Alright, you can do it that way. It just looks odd with a 'v' term multiplied to a known value. Since you don't know what 'v' is. You could have just called the momentum 'p' since you don't know what that is either, and it is more simplified:

p_1 = (5000 GeV/c, p, 0, 0)
p_2 = (5000 GeV/c, -p, 0, 0)

It looks cleaner this way.

For the final total 4 momentum, I suggest using E1, E2, p1, p2 to start off before you start plugging in equations.

An equation that can be helpful is:

[tex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/tex]

1. What is a particle collision?

A particle collision is a phenomenon in which two or more particles come into contact with each other, resulting in a transfer of energy and momentum between them. This can occur in a variety of environments, such as in a particle accelerator or during a natural cosmic event.

2. How are particle collisions studied?

Particle collisions are studied using particle accelerators, which can accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light. Scientists also use detectors to measure the properties of the particles produced during a collision, such as their mass and charge.

3. What is 4-momentum in particle collisions?

4-momentum is a physical quantity that encompasses both energy and momentum. In particle collisions, this is used to describe the total energy and momentum of all particles involved in the collision.

4. How do particle collisions contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Particle collisions can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of nature and the structure of matter. By studying the particles produced in collisions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern them.

5. What are some real-world applications of particle collisions?

Particle collisions have many practical applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment. They are also used in industrial processes, such as in manufacturing semiconductors. In addition, particle collisions are crucial in developing new technologies and advancing our understanding of the universe.