What is the Solution for a Smartboard 580 Cable Issue?

• Thread starter Nerdreaper404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a newly purchased smartboard 580 (touchscreen dry erase board) and the difficulties in finding the correct power supply to connect it to a computer. The speaker has tried using different power supplies, but none have worked, and they are unsure if the lack of a fuse, diode, and resistor in their homemade cable is the issue. They also mention that the board does not appear to be damaged, but may still be DOA. The conversation ends with a question about any possible testing that can be done.
Nerdreaper404
firstly hello.
second my problem is i bought a smartboard 580 (touchscreen dry erase board) at an auction. it came with nothing doing some digging i found a schematic for the cable required to connect the board to my computer: http://www2.smarttech.com/kbdoc/186" now i have tried to make this cable with 3 different power supply's. a 5v 550ma, a 9v 2.2a, and a 12v 1a. all of these are in the requirements set by the document except the 12v actually put out 16v but if you read the paper it says anything exceeding 18v just causes "noise". the only difference between there diagram and my cable is i left out the fuse,diode, and resistor because i figured these were just safety mechanisms so i don't fry the board. all the cables i tested didn't make the board light up like it should and the board doesn't appearer to be damaged at all(no burns, loose solders, or broken paths) as far as i can tell. now i am new to EE so i am somewhat ignorant but i wish to learn so ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.thanx.
(takes a breath)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, your new auction purchase may be DOA. It's not necessary that there be visible damage to the electronics or printed circuit board for this to occur. If you know somebody else that has a (working) power supply for it, I'd try that out first.

unfortunatly i don't have an official power supply. is there any kind of testing i can do. oh and when i pluged into the board i measured the voltage across all the poart pins on the board and every other one starting with #1 had 8 volts to it (using the 9v power supply) not sure if this helps.

1. What is a Smartboard 580 cable issue?

A Smartboard 580 cable issue refers to any problem or malfunction that occurs with the cable connecting the Smartboard 580 device to a computer or other display device. This can include issues such as a loose or damaged cable, incorrect connections, or compatibility issues.

2. How can I troubleshoot a Smartboard 580 cable issue?

To troubleshoot a Smartboard 580 cable issue, first check that the cable is securely connected to both the Smartboard and the computer or display device. If the connection is secure, try using a different cable or testing the device with a different computer. If the issue persists, consult the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide or contact customer support for further assistance.

3. Can a Smartboard 580 cable issue be fixed?

In most cases, a Smartboard 580 cable issue can be fixed by ensuring proper connections and troubleshooting any compatibility issues. If the cable is damaged, it may need to be replaced. In some cases, the issue may be with the device itself and it may need to be repaired or replaced.

4. How can I prevent a Smartboard 580 cable issue?

To prevent a Smartboard 580 cable issue, always ensure that the cable is properly connected and not being strained or pulled. If transporting the device, be sure to pack the cable carefully to avoid damage. Regularly checking and cleaning the connections can also help prevent any issues.

5. Are there any common causes of Smartboard 580 cable issues?

Some common causes of Smartboard 580 cable issues include loose or damaged connections, incompatible devices, and physical damage to the cable. Environmental factors such as extreme temperatures or exposure to moisture can also contribute to cable issues. It is important to handle and use the cable carefully to avoid any potential problems.

Back