Distance and acceleration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the minimum speed, cmin, in terms of constants a and b in a quadratic equation. The solution involves realizing that the discriminant must be positive for cmin to have a real value, and solving for cmin using the quadratic formula with the discriminant expression. The final answer is that cmin must be greater than or equal to the square root of 2ab.
quick
this picture shows the problem:
http://s93755476.onlinehome.us/phys.jpg

i realize the discriminant must be positive for t_catch to have a real value. i just can't figure out how to write an expression with a and b. thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Realizing that the discriminant must be greater than or equal to 0 is really the whole problem. The minimum speed, c, will give a discriminant of 0 (i.e., cmin2 - 2ab = 0). Just solve for cmin and plug back into your expression for tcatch from the quadratic formula.

how do i solve for c_min?

cmin2 - 2ab = 0

sorry I am retarded, i didn't read your response correctly. thanks for your help!

if you have a quadratic formula:
[tex] ax^{2} + bx + c = 0 [/tex]
the solution for its roots is:

[tex] x = \frac {-b {+-} \sqrt{b^{2} - 4ac}}{2a} [/tex]

now your equation is{
[tex] \frac{1}{2}at^{2} - ct + b = 0 [/tex]

so the solution to have a positive x walue would be easy to find, just sub in your constants in the equation above:

[tex] x = \frac {-(-c) {+-} \sqrt{(-c)^{2} - 4((\frac{1}{2}a)(b)}}{2(\frac{1}{2}a)} [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac {c {+-} \sqrt{c^{2} - 2ab}}{a} [/tex]

so in order to have a positive x value, there must be a positive root,
[tex] c^2 - 2ab > 0 [/tex]

there is your answer. Do you understand now?

Hmm, I don't see the connection to the original question.

what don't you see about it, the question is asking to express the minimum values of the mans speed in terms of a and b. As long as

[tex] c^2 - 2ab > 0 [/tex]

there is your answer. The min value would be:

[tex] c^2 - 2ab = 0 [/tex]

What is the distance and acceleration problem?

The distance and acceleration problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the distance an object travels given its initial velocity, acceleration, and time.

How do you calculate distance in a distance and acceleration problem?

To calculate distance, you can use the formula d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where d is distance, vi is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

What is the difference between distance and displacement in a distance and acceleration problem?

Distance refers to the total length an object has traveled, while displacement refers to the change in position or shortest distance between the starting and ending points.

What is the acceleration formula in a distance and acceleration problem?

The acceleration formula is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What are some real-life applications of the distance and acceleration problem?

The distance and acceleration problem is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and transportation, to calculate the motion of objects such as cars, airplanes, and projectiles. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the distance a ball travels when thrown or hit.