Does anyone do this type of Aerospace Research?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in engineering and interest in the physics of flight. They are considering going back to grad school and are interested in researching the reverse approach to airfoil design. They also mention various resources and organizations related to aircraft design and the challenge of understanding the Navier-Stokes equations in order to predict turbulence.
rm446
Hello

I currently hold a M.S. in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and a B.S. in Mechanical engineering (note the M.S. had an emphasis in controls and dynamics). I got my M.S. by only taking grad courses and have done no research or advanced project, I graduated last year and have been working in a terribly boring engineering job ever since.

Lately I've be thinking about going back to grad school but I want to have a clear research focus in mind before I consider anything else.

One thing I've always been interested in is the physics of flight, particularly the phenomenon that cause lift and drag on a wing. I've always felt the way they taught fluid dynamics was a little bit of a cop-out though, I mean the build a cool equation and then say, "but alas it's is not analytically solvable, so here's how to get a numerical solution". So you can always start with airfoil and plug it into a program to figure out it's forces more or less.

I'm wondering is there any research related to doing the reverse, to starting with air flow and how you want the forces to be and calculating the shape of the airfoil? Or finding an analytical relationship between the shape of a wing and it's shape factors Cl and Cd? Anyways is this just a pipe dream or does anyone know of any universities/professors/labs that to research on this kind of thing?

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
There has been a lot of research on wing and aircraft design over the last century. There are many reports from NACA (1915-1958), then NASA (1958-present).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_airfoil

I would recommend browsing the AIAA website - www.aiaa.org

NASA Langley - http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/aeronautics/index.html

NASA Dryden - http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/research/index.html

Then again, this might be of interest - http://www.claymath.org/millennium/Navier-Stokes_Equations/
Waves follow our boat as we meander across the lake, and turbulent air currents follow our flight in a modern jet. Mathematicians and physicists believe that an explanation for and the prediction of both the breeze and the turbulence can be found through an understanding of solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations. Although these equations were written down in the 19th Century, our understanding of them remains minimal. The challenge is to make substantial progress toward a mathematical theory which will unlock the secrets hidden in the Navier-Stokes equations.
The key is to understand a set of coupled non-linear PDEs.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is aerospace research?

Aerospace research is the scientific study of air and space travel, including the design, development, and testing of aircraft, spacecraft, and related technologies.

2. What types of research are included in aerospace research?

Aerospace research encompasses a wide range of disciplines, including aerodynamics, propulsion, materials science, control systems, and more. It also includes research on space exploration, such as planetary science and astrophysics.

3. What are the benefits of aerospace research?

Aerospace research has numerous benefits, including advancements in technology, improved safety and efficiency of air and space travel, and new discoveries and knowledge about our universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as defense, communications, and weather forecasting.

4. What are some current areas of focus in aerospace research?

Some current areas of focus in aerospace research include developing more sustainable and environmentally-friendly aircraft, designing new propulsion systems for space travel, and exploring ways to improve the safety and efficiency of air traffic control systems.

5. Are there any specific qualifications or requirements for conducting aerospace research?

Generally, individuals conducting aerospace research should have a background in a relevant field, such as engineering or physics, and should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They may also need to obtain certain certifications or clearances depending on the specific type of research being conducted. Additionally, access to specialized equipment and facilities may be necessary for certain types of research.