Finding the parametric form of a tangent line vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the parametric form for the tangent line to the graph of y=2x^2-5x+3 at x=2. Some confusion arises regarding the use of x0, y0, x1, and y1 in the form <x0,y0>+t<x1-x0,y1-y0>, but it is clarified that any two points on the tangent line can be chosen to represent these variables.
Wm_Davies

Homework Statement

Find the parametric form for the tangent line to the graph of y=2x2−5x+3 at x=2 is

Homework Equations

I have no clue!

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the tangent line to be y=3x-5

I know that the answer has to be in the form...

<x0,y0>+t<x1-x0,y1-y0>

I have absolutely no idea what is x0,y0,x1, or y1.

So I am just really confused on how to put it in the requested form.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of choices for x0, y0, x1 and y1. Pick any two points on your tangent line. Put x=2 and get y=1. So (2,1) is a choice for (x0,y0). Pick x=3. What do you get for y? That's a choice for (x1,y1). There's no one form for a parametric line. Pick any two points you want.

Thank you Dick. That actually makes a lot of sense! I was just making the problem too hard (as usual).

What is the parametric form of a tangent line?

The parametric form of a tangent line is a way of representing the equation of a line that touches a curve at a specific point. It is written in terms of a parameter, usually denoted as t, and involves the coordinates of the point of tangency and the slope of the tangent line.

How do you find the parametric form of a tangent line?

To find the parametric form of a tangent line, you need to have the coordinates of the point of tangency and the slope of the tangent line. You can then use the point-slope form of a line to create the equation, replacing the x and y variables with the parametric variables t.

What is the significance of finding the parametric form of a tangent line?

Finding the parametric form of a tangent line allows us to easily represent the equation of a line that touches a curve at a specific point. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating rates of change and finding the direction of motion along a curve.

Can the parametric form of a tangent line be used for any type of curve?

Yes, the parametric form of a tangent line can be used for any type of curve, as long as you have the necessary information (coordinates of the point of tangency and slope of the tangent line) to create the equation.

What is the difference between the parametric form of a tangent line and the slope-intercept form?

The parametric form of a tangent line is specifically used for lines that touch curves at a specific point, while the slope-intercept form is a general form of a line that can be used for any line. The parametric form also uses a parameter, while the slope-intercept form uses the variables x and y.