Solve Kinematics (3 in 1) Problems with Omid

• Thread starter Omid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, this conversation discusses three related problems involving driving toward an intersection with a yellow light. The first problem calculates the smallest distance in which a car could stop in time, given a response time and acceleration. The second problem introduces a new variable, S_I, and asks for an equation to determine the time of the yellow light, assuming a constant speed and given values for S_s and S_I. The third problem asks for the yellow light duration, given specific values for all variables.
Omid
Here there are 3 related problems which I need help with them :

37. Imagine that you are driving toward an intersection at a speed v_i just as the light changes from green to yellow. Assuming a response time of 0.6 s and an acceleration of -6.9 m/s^2, write an expression for the smallest distance (S_s) from the corner in which you could stop in time. How much is that if you are traveling 35 km/h?

I suggest this expression :
S_s= (v_i) (0.6 s) - [((v_i)^2) / 2a ]
And 12.67 as the numeric answer for the second part.

38. Considering the previous problem, it should be clear that the yellow light might reasonably be set for a time t_y, which is long enough for a car to traverse the distance equal to both S_s and the width of the intersection S_I.
Assuming a constant speed v_i equal to the legal limit, write an equation for t_y, which is independent of S_s.

I just don't get this one.

40. With problems 37 and 38 in mind, how long should the yellow light stay lit if we assume a driver response time of 0.6 s, an acceleration of -6.9 m/s^2, a speed of 35 km/h, and an intersection 25 m wide ? Which of the several contributing aspects requires the greatest time ?

I don't understand this one too.

Thanks
Omid

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest this expression :
S_s= (v_i) (0.6 s) - [((v_i)^2) / 2a ]
And 12.67 as the numeric answer for the second part.

You wrote "-" in the formula but clearly intended "+" (and used + to get 12.67)

38. You already have a formula for S_s. S_i is just some (given) fixed number. The distance you need to "traverse" as speed v_i is just the sum of those:
(v_i) (0.6 s) + [((v_i)^2) / 2a ] + S_i. What time is needed to go that distance at constant speed v_i ?

40. Now that you have finished 38 (what happened to 39?) just put the numbers you are given: v_i= 35, S_i= 25, etc. into the formula.

Yet there are 2 questions for me.
1. The formula for t_y ( problem 38 ) is not INDEPENDENT of S_s as the problem asks to be (our formula is : (v_i) (0.6 s) + [((v_i)^2) / 2a ] + S_i which is equivalently (v_i) (0.6 s) + [ S_s ] + S_i ).
2. Which of the several contributing aspects requires the greatest time ?
I think it's v_i, isn't it ?

1. How do I solve kinematics problems with Omid?

To solve kinematics problems with Omid, you will need to input the known variables into the appropriate equations for motion. This includes variables such as initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, displacement, and time. Omid will then solve for the unknown variable.

2. What types of kinematics problems can Omid solve?

Omid is designed to solve three types of kinematics problems: constant velocity, constant acceleration, and free fall. These types of problems involve objects moving in a straight line with either a constant speed or changing speed.

3. Can Omid solve problems with multiple objects?

Yes, Omid can solve problems with multiple objects as long as they are moving in a straight line. You will need to input the relevant variables for each object to find the solution.

4. How accurate is Omid's solution?

Omid's solutions are based on the equations of motion and are therefore accurate. However, the accuracy of the solution also depends on the accuracy of the input variables. It is important to double check your input to ensure the most accurate solution.

5. Is Omid suitable for all levels of kinematics problems?

Omid is designed to solve basic to intermediate level kinematics problems. It may not be suitable for more advanced problems that involve non-linear motion or complex interactions between multiple objects.