Using Ampere's law to find B just outside finite solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses using Ampere's law to show the longitudinal magnetic induction outside a solenoid with a finite length. The problem is from Jackson's 3rd edition and the relevant equations are Ampere's law and the attempt at a solution involves considering the fringing effects of a finite solenoid. The conversation also touches on the magnetic induction outside an infinite solenoid, which is 0.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

We have a solenoid of radius a, length L, with ends at z = +/- L/2. The problem is to use Ampere's law to show that the longitudinal magnetic induction just outside the coil is approximately

[tex] B_z (\rho=a^+, z) \approx \left(\frac{2 \mu_0 N I a^2}{L^2} \right) \left(1+ \frac{12 z^2}{L^2}- \frac{9 a^2}{L^2} + \ldots \right) [/tex]

(This is part b of problem 5.5 in Jackson 3rd edition).

Homework Equations

Ampere's law: [tex] \oint B \cdot dl = \mu_0 I [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I'm thinking about this too simplistically, which is why I'm stuck. For an infinite solenoid, the magnetic induction outside is 0. Since we've got a finite solenoid, there are obviously fringing effects of some sort and I guess we can't expect the field to be 0 outside anymore (though it should be reasonably small compared to the field on axis in the center of the solenoid).

I can't figure out what to do differently with Ampere's law though. Does my amperian loop enclose the coils over the full length L of the solenoid or just a short bit? What I was initially thinking was that if my amperian loop encloses all of them, then

[tex] \oint B \cdot dl = BL = \mu_0 I N L \rightarrow B = \mu_0 N I \hat{z} [/tex]

but this is the result you get with the infinite solenoid inside the solenoid, and is clearly not what I need to have since there's nothing to expand on... so I guess I'm not sure how to set this up. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
end of page 6/beginning of page 7 is relevant.

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~bsauerwi/Problems/2005EM1HW8.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, how do you know that for an infinite solenoid, the magnetic induction outside is 0?

1. What is Ampere's law?

Ampere's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field B around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It is one of the four Maxwell's equations and is useful in calculating the magnetic field in various situations.

2. How do I use Ampere's law to find B just outside a finite solenoid?

To use Ampere's law to find B just outside a finite solenoid, you can first draw a closed loop around the solenoid. Then, use the equation B x 2πr = μ0NI to calculate the magnetic field at a distance r from the solenoid, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, and I is the current passing through it.

3. What is a finite solenoid?

A finite solenoid is a type of coil that has a finite length and a finite number of turns. It is commonly used in electromagnets and has magnetic field properties similar to that of an infinite solenoid, but with some variations due to its finite length.

4. Why is it important to find B just outside a finite solenoid?

Finding the magnetic field just outside a finite solenoid is important for understanding its magnetic field properties and how it interacts with other magnetic fields or currents. It is also important in practical applications, such as designing electromagnets or magnetic sensors.

5. What are some limitations of using Ampere's law to find B just outside a finite solenoid?

One limitation is that it assumes the solenoid is infinitely thin, which may not be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, the equation only applies to points outside the solenoid, so it cannot be used to calculate the magnetic field inside the solenoid. Other factors such as non-uniform current distribution or external magnetic fields may also affect the accuracy of the calculation.