Problems - Gravity & Mass of Earth & Moon

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of lunar gravity and the mass of the Moon in comparison to Earth. It also touches on a question regarding the gravitational fields of the Earth and the Moon. The person asking for help has tried multiple formulas but is unsure if they are using them correctly. They have solved the first question but need further assistance with the second one.
J7
I'm completely stumped on 2 questions I have, I'm not even sure which formula's to use, I've tried many... any help??

1) Lunar gravity at the Moon's surface is only 1/6 as strong as what we experience on Earth. Since the diameter of the Moon is about 1/4 that of the Earth, the lunar mass is about :
a) 3 x 10^-3 times the Earth's mass
b) 1 x 10^-2 times the Earth's mass
c) 3/8 the Earth's mass
d) 1/3 of the Earth's mass
e) 3 times the Earth's mass

2) At what point between the Earth, mass M_E and the Moon, mass 0.0123 M_E will their gravitational fields cancel each other (i.e. at what point willa small mass experience zero net force?)
a) at the centre of the Earth
b) At the centre of mass of this sysytem
c) at a distance 50% between the two
d) At a distance 74% of the way from the Earth to the Moon
e) none of these

Any help to set me on track would be really appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Which formulas have you tried out?

Many, but i have a feeling I'm using them incorrectly, and because I'm not exactly sure of what each thing in the formulas stands for, I can't substitute in for them.

All right, please write down a single formula you think is right.
Then, describe those quantities you know what means
Don't double post; stop the thread in Gen.Physics.

I figured the first one out, thanks anyway, I'm going to try the second one once more on my own

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. The mass of an object will remain the same no matter where it is in the universe, but its weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

2. How is the mass of the Earth and Moon calculated?

The mass of the Earth and Moon can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By measuring the distance between the Earth and Moon and the gravitational force between them, we can calculate their masses.

3. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant in physics that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is approximately equal to 6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2 and is an important factor in calculating the mass and gravitational pull of celestial bodies like the Earth and Moon.

4. How does the mass of the Earth and Moon affect their gravitational pull?

The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This is why the Earth's gravitational pull is stronger than the Moon's, as it has a significantly higher mass. However, the distance between two objects also plays a role in the strength of their gravitational pull, so the Moon's closer proximity to the Earth also affects the strength of their gravitational interaction.

5. Can the mass of the Earth and Moon change over time?

While the mass of the Earth and Moon can change slightly due to factors such as meteorite impacts and loss of atmospheric gases, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly alter their gravitational pull. However, the mass of the Earth and Moon can also be affected by human activities, such as mining and space exploration, although these changes are currently not significant enough to affect their gravitational pull.