To find mass of falling object

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the mass of a free falling object without knowing the force it hits the ground with. It is concluded that without any other information, it is not possible to calculate the mass. The concept of terminal velocity and its dependence on mass and shape is also mentioned, along with the various factors that can affect the motion of a falling object.
lighteyes
A friend asked this question and it got me thinking.. and I can't seem to think of any solution. :bugeye:

Out of curiosity, he asked me.. is it possible to find the mass of a free falling object without knowing the force it hits the ground? (assuming we know the displacement s=0.91m, v= vms-1) That object is also said to rebound to a height of 0.61m.

So I know mass doesn't affect motion of free falling object.. but is it possible to calculate mass? I tried whatever I know and m is always canceled out.

Physics news on Phys.org
If all you have to go on is the motion itself, no, it is not possible. Objects of any mass will free-fall exactly the same.

HallsofIvy said:
If all you have to go on is the motion itself, no, it is not possible. Objects of any mass will free-fall exactly the same.

Would that be true of two Earth mass bodies as they get close? It would seem to me if they both have a terminal velocity of say, 10 km/sec,(a small meteor attracted to Earth) they would both move together, wouldn't that mean a higher terminal velocity?

litup said:
Would that be true of two Earth mass bodies as they get close? It would seem to me if they both have a terminal velocity of say, 10 km/sec,(a small meteor attracted to Earth) they would both move together, wouldn't that mean a higher terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is an effect that the atmosphere produces on objects falling through it. It creates drag, which causes objects to reach an equilibrium where the force of gravity on the acceleration is counterbalanced by the drag on the object, creating a maximum free falling velocity that it can reach at a given altitude.

The acceleration would still be the same no matter the mass. Increasing an objects mass relative to the Earth only makes it so that the Earth itself falls toward that object at a greater acceleration, which would look like an object was falling toward the other much faster than was actually happening unless you could tell that both bodies were falling towards each other. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: Ignoring drag, the acceleration is the same for all objects, no matter the mass.

Last edited:
Hitting the ground is one of many possible interactions a falling object can experience. Consider drawing your data from others. :)
So if it is falling through air, consider the effect of drag.
If you happen to know the mass of the object causing the acceleration with sufficient accuracy, use some Newtonian mechanics.
If it is subject to them, you could also use electromagnetic forces.

And any others or a combination thereof. :)

Terminal velocity depends on the mass and shape of the object. If you have a simple shape, like a smooth sphere, you can estimate its drag coefficient and use that to find the mass from terminal velocity. For some random object, the problem is incredibly complex, since most objects tend to tumble as they fall making computations of drag coefficient even using numerical methods incredibly complex.

What is the formula for finding the mass of a falling object?

The formula for finding the mass of a falling object is mass = force / acceleration due to gravity. This formula is also known as Newton's second law of motion.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth. This value is the same for all objects, regardless of their mass.

How do you measure the force of a falling object?

The force of a falling object can be measured using a spring scale or a force meter. Simply attach the object to the scale or meter and read the measurement.

Can you find the mass of a falling object without knowing the force?

No, the mass of a falling object cannot be determined without knowing the force acting on it. The mass and force are directly proportional, so without one of these values, the other cannot be calculated.

What is the unit of measurement for mass of a falling object?

The unit of measurement for mass is kilograms (kg). This is the standard unit in the metric system, but other units such as grams (g) and pounds (lbs) can also be used.