Does resistance go up or down with an increase in temperature?

In summary, the resistance of a material can either increase or decrease with an increase in temperature, depending on the material. Most metals have a positive temperature coefficient, meaning their resistance increases with temperature, while most semiconductors have a negative temperature coefficient, meaning their resistance decreases with temperature. However, there are also materials, such as the alloy Manganin, that have a very small change in resistivity with temperature, making them suitable for use in resistors.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I had 2 people telling me 2 different things...so I don't know the real answer. Does resistance go up or down with an increase in temperature?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes it can go up or down. It depends on the material.

Can it stay constant, too?

Femme_physics said:
Can it stay constant, too?

Yes, at least approximately constant. That would be called a low temperature coefficient material.

Materials in which resistance increases with temperature are referred to as having a positive temperature coefficient. Most metals are in this category.

Materials in which resistance decreases with temperature are referred to as having a negative temperature coefficient. Most semiconductors are in this category.

In most metals, the resistance goes up with temperature. In semiconductors, the resistance actually decreases as temperature rises. I think resistivity will always change depending on temperature. But for some materials the change might be relatively small.

Actually Manganin is an alloy, which has a coefficient of resistivity of .000002. This is used for resistors because its change in resistivity due to temperature is very close to 0.

Last edited:
The problem with wiki is that it tends to provide more than the needed information which often confuses the reader (i.e. me)... those answers here helped me though..thanks :)

1. Does resistance always increase with temperature?

No, resistance does not always increase with temperature. This relationship depends on the material and the type of resistance. In some cases, resistance may decrease with an increase in temperature.

2. Why does resistance increase with temperature?

Resistance typically increases with temperature because the movement of atoms and electrons within the material increases, causing more collisions and hindering the flow of electricity.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the change in resistance with temperature?

Yes, there is a formula called the temperature coefficient of resistance (TCR) that can be used to calculate the change in resistance with temperature for a specific material. TCR is measured in units of ohms per degree Celsius (Ω/°C) or ohms per degree Fahrenheit (Ω/°F).

4. What materials have a positive temperature coefficient of resistance?

Most metals have a positive temperature coefficient of resistance, meaning that their resistance increases as temperature increases. Some examples include copper, silver, and gold.

5. Can temperature affect electronic components' resistance?

Yes, temperature can significantly affect the resistance of electronic components. High temperatures can cause changes in the material's properties, leading to variations in resistance and potential damage to the component. It is essential to consider temperature when designing and using electronic circuits.