Solving Angle X with Sin(x/2)=1/2 & Tan(x)=sqrt(3)

In summary, the problem is to find the angle x if it is known that sin(x/2) = 1/2 and tan(x) = sqrt(3), with 0<=x<=360. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem, including using trigonometric identities and considering the equilateral triangle.
Anzas
find the angle x
if its known that:
sin(x/2) = 1/2
tan(x)=sqrt(3)

0<=x<=360

Physics news on Phys.org
why don't you simply do arcsine and arctan?

because the whole point of the question is using trigonometric identities to solve it (believe me i would be happy to do the arctan and get it over with :smile: )

Anzas said:
because the whole point of the question is using trigonometric identities to solve it (believe me i would be happy to do the arctan and get it over with :smile: )

You might discover something interesting about the problem though. (It's also worth noting that that there are special angles involved.)

i tried playing around with it

sin(x/2) = 1/2
tan(x)=sqrt(3)

i got

tan(x) = sin(x) / cos(x) = sqrt(3)

sin^2(x) / cos^2(x) = 3

but that didn't really lead me anywhere
i thought of ways to convert sin(x/2) to sin(x) with no luck

Anzas said:
find the angle x
if its known that:
sin(x/2) = 1/2
tan(x)=sqrt(3)

0<=x<=360

If you don't want to use the inverse trig functions directly then you may want to ponder the equilateral triangle!

1. How do I even begin to solve for angle X in these equations?

To solve for angle X, you will need to use trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate the equations and isolate X. It may also be helpful to draw a triangle and label the sides and angles according to the given information.

2. What is the relationship between Sin(x/2) and Tan(x)?

Sin(x/2) and Tan(x) are related through the half-angle identity for tangent, which states that Tan(x/2) = Sin(x)/(1+Cos(x)). This can be derived using the double-angle formula for tangent.

3. How do I solve for angle X if I only have one equation?

In order to solve for angle X, you will need to have at least two equations. In this case, you have two equations (Sin(x/2)=1/2 and Tan(x)=sqrt(3)), which means you can use algebra and trigonometric identities to solve for X.

4. What is the significance of the given values (Sin(x/2)=1/2 & Tan(x)=sqrt(3)) in relation to angle X?

The given values represent the sine and tangent of angle X. These values can be used to find the exact value of angle X, as well as the coordinates of a point on the unit circle corresponding to angle X.

5. Are there any other methods for solving this type of problem?

Yes, there are other methods for solving this type of problem, such as using a calculator or graphing the equations to find the intersection point. However, using trigonometric identities and properties is the most common and efficient method for solving equations involving trigonometric functions.