Metric compatibile connection

In summary, the conditions mentioned above are imposed in order to have a connection in general relativity that is simple and not affected by physical phenomena.
hellfire
Science Advisor
To have a connection in GR one imposes several conditions. Among others, one condition is that the connection shall be torsion free, which leads to symmetric Christoffel symbols. My understanding is that this condition is imposed to maintain the theory as simple as possible. The absence of this condition would imply some physical phenomenon (spacetime with torsion, additionally to curvature), which is not observed (?).

Further, one imposes metric compatibility, which leads to a vanishing covariant derivative of the metric. I assume that the reasons which make this property desirable are the same as above, but I cannot imagine any physical phenomenon related to the absence of this condition. So, my question is: what is the physical interpretation of a connection which is not compatible with the metric? I read in Sean Carrolls GR notes (p. 91), that to introduce fermions in GR one has to make use of a connection which is not metric compatible (called spin connection), why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know these things very well, but I think that if the connection isn't metric compatible, you can parallell transport two vectors and not preserve the "angle" (definied by the metric) between them. I can't think of any physical consequences of that right now.

I also think that a spin connection is something more complicated. I don't think it's a connection on a manifold. Isn't it a connection on some kind of fiber bundle? The words "spin bundle" comes to mind. I don't even know what that is. :smile:

Fredrik said:
I don't know these things very well, but I think that if the connection isn't metric compatible, you can parallell transport two vectors and not preserve the "angle" (definied by the metric) between them.

That's right. You can have a connection without a metric, but if you do have a metric, then the one compatible with it is preferred for this reason (presuming no torsion). Preserving inner products is sort of the whole "point" of parallel transport. Certainly derivative operators would act very counter-intuitively if this were not true. Maybe that's not as deep an answer as you were looking for?

Well, thanks for your answers. I think I did understood more or less which are the technical reasons which lead to the conditions mentioned above. For a metric compatible connection the invariance of inner products is indeed a reason (equivalent to stating that the covariant derivative of the metric shall vanish everywhere) which makes the whole mathematical formalism easier.

But I would like to understand whether there are physical phenomena underlying these properties (or the absence of these properties). The spin connection I mentioned above is introduced by Carroll (http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/9712019 ) when he explains non-coordinate bases (p. 91). In the relation between the connection coefficients of the metric compatible connection and the spin connection a term appears with the partial derivative of the non-coordinate basis vectors. But this is behind my knowledge: I just wanted to get a feeling before trying to understand this part of the notes.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a metric compatible connection?

A metric compatible connection is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the relationship between a manifold (a space that is locally Euclidean) and its associated metric (a way of measuring distances between points).

Why is a metric compatible connection important?

A metric compatible connection is important because it allows us to define a notion of distance on a manifold, which is necessary for many applications in physics and engineering. It also helps us to understand the curvature of a space and how objects move within it.

How is a metric compatible connection different from a metric?

A metric is a mathematical function that assigns a numerical value to the distance between any two points in a space. A metric compatible connection, on the other hand, is a mathematical concept that describes how the metric changes as you move from one point to another on a manifold.

Can a metric compatible connection be non-Euclidean?

Yes, a metric compatible connection can be non-Euclidean, meaning that the space it describes does not follow the rules of Euclidean geometry (e.g. parallel lines never intersecting). This is because the metric compatible connection is based on the metric, which can be defined in a variety of ways.

What are some real-world applications of a metric compatible connection?

Metric compatible connections have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they are used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime, in computer vision to analyze images and detect patterns, and in machine learning to understand the relationship between different data points.