An Introduction to Neurotransmitters

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ali Inam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Introduction
In summary, the speaker needs to give a presentation on the basics concepts of Neurotransmitters and is considering a different approach to introducing them to the audience. Instead of directly defining and explaining them, the speaker plans to use body movements as an example, starting with how the brain controls voluntary movements through the nervous system and neurons by transmitting chemical impulses. The speaker also mentions using resources from the National Center for Biotechnology Information and the Society for Neuroscience for their presentation.
Ali Inam
I need to give a presentation on the basics concepts of the Neurotransmitters. Now, a lot of stuff is available on the net and I can easily get it all from there.

But I am thinking about doing something different, I am thinking about to introduce the neurotransmitter from a different perspective rather then directly defining and explaining it to the audience.

What I thought was to tell them about the body movements and whatever movements which we have as voluntary. So, I thought of starting that for example, we wave our hand, how do we do it ? From the brain. Then, how is the brain performing it ? With the help of the Nervous System. Then how the nervous system is acting ? With the help of the neuron. Then if the brain is positioned at our head, then how does it can control the movement of our hands and feet from there ? obviously, with the help of the neuron. Then, how is the neuron getting involved ? By transmitting signals. By the generation of impulses.

Then I will tell about the type of impulses, about chemical impulses, then will come the INTRODUCTION OF NEURON

So, is there any wrong in whatever I am planning to prepare in my presentation ? Please Guide me

Thanks ! *

Biology news on Phys.org

What are neurotransmitters?

Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that are released from neurons in the brain and nervous system. They transmit signals between neurons and regulate various functions such as mood, sleep, and muscle movement.

How do neurotransmitters work?

Neurotransmitters work by traveling across the synapse, the gap between two neurons, and binding to receptors on the receiving neuron. This causes an electrical signal to be sent down the receiving neuron, allowing for communication between neurons.

What are the different types of neurotransmitters?

There are several types of neurotransmitters, including serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and GABA. Each type has a specific function and plays a role in different physiological and psychological processes.

What happens when there is an imbalance of neurotransmitters?

An imbalance of neurotransmitters can lead to various neurological and mental health disorders, such as depression, anxiety, and Parkinson's disease. It can also affect cognitive function, mood, and behavior.

How can we regulate neurotransmitter levels?

Neurotransmitter levels can be regulated through various methods, including medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes. Medications can help to balance neurotransmitter levels, while therapy can address underlying issues. Engaging in regular exercise, getting enough sleep, and eating a healthy diet can also help regulate neurotransmitter levels.