Calculate a for Triangle ABC & 45° Angle

• Thread starter ferry2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of parameter a for which the angle between the line segment AB and the median passing through point A is equal to 45 degrees. The conversation includes the calculation of coordinates for the point M, the dot product of the vectors AM and AB, and the use of Horner's method to solve the resulting equation. The final solution for a is -1 and -21.
ferry2
Points [tex]A (-3, -1), B (5, a), C (3, 13)[/tex] are vertices of a triangle. Find the values ​​of parameter [tex]a[/tex] for which the angle between [tex]AB[/tex] and the median, passing through [tex]A[/tex] is equal to [tex]45[/tex] degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ferry2! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Let the median is [tex]AM[/tex]. I started with calculating the coordinates of the point [tex]M[/tex] which is [tex]M(\frac{5+3}{2}, \frac{a+13}{2})\Rightarrow M(4, \frac{a+13}{2})[/tex]. Then I calculate the dot product of [tex]\vec{AM} \vec{AB}[/tex]. To be an angle [tex]\angle (\vec{AM}, \vec{AB})=45[/tex] degrees should [tex]\vec{AM} \vec{AB}=|\vec{AM}||\vec{AB}|*\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]. And here comes my difficulty. I get very complicated equation. What wrong?

ferry2 said:
… I get very complicated equation. What wrong?

looks ok …

what equation did you get? :smile:

(btw, you could have used (8, a + 13) instead of (4, (a + 13)/2) :wink:)

Well [tex]\vec{AB}(8, a+1), \vec{AM}(7, \frac{15+a}{2}) \Rightarrow \vec{AM}\vec{AB}=56+\frac{1}{2}(a+1)(15+a)[/tex]

[tex]|\vec{AM}||\vec{AB}|=\sqrt{64+(a+1)^2}\sqrt{16+\frac{(15+a)^2}{4}}[/tex]

Then [tex]\vec{AM}\vec{AB}=|\vec{AM}||\vec{AB}|\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \Leftrightarrow 56+\frac{1}{2}(a+1)(15+a)=\sqrt{64+(a+1)^2}\sqrt{16+\frac{(15+a)^2}{4}}\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

How to solve this?

(shouldn't that 16 be 49?)

you could simplify that last equation by squaring it,

also you could make it more symmetrical by substituting b = a + 8

Thanks a lot. I solved by squaring and then I apply Horner's method. The real root's are -1 and -21.

ooooh … what's Horner's method ? :smile:

http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/n2003/hornermod.html is the Horner's method.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating the length of side a in a triangle with angles of 45 degrees?

The formula for calculating the length of side a in a triangle with angles of 45 degrees is a = (b√2)/2, where b is the length of one of the other sides.

2. How do I find the length of side a in a triangle with a 45 degree angle?

To find the length of side a in a triangle with a 45 degree angle, you can use the formula a = (b√2)/2, where b is the length of one of the other sides.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of side a in a triangle with a 45 degree angle?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of side a in a triangle with a 45 degree angle. The formula is a² = b² + c², where b and c are the lengths of the other two sides.

4. How do I solve for side a in a 45-45-90 degree triangle?

To solve for side a in a 45-45-90 degree triangle, you can use the formula a = (b√2)/2, where b is the length of either of the other two sides. This formula is derived from the fact that in a 45-45-90 triangle, the two shorter sides are equal in length and the hypotenuse is equal to the length of one of the sides multiplied by √2.

5. If I know the length of side b in a triangle with a 45 degree angle, how do I find the length of side a?

If you know the length of side b in a triangle with a 45 degree angle, you can find the length of side a by using the formula a = (b√2)/2. This formula is derived from the fact that in a 45 degree triangle, the length of side a is equal to half the length of side b multiplied by √2.