Equilibrium and Equivalence Calculation [Very Difficult]

In summary, the problem involves adding a volume of .022M HCl to a 110ml buffer solution in order to react with the ammonia (NH3) until reaching the equivalence point. The buffer solution contains .045M NH4+ and .024M NH3, with a pH of 8.99 and a Kb value of 1.8 x 10-5. Using stoichiometry, it was determined that 120ml of HCl is required to reach the equivalence point, with a resulting pH of 1.96.
iBOOM

Homework Statement

1. What volume of .022M HCl must be added to the 110ml buffer solution to completely react with the ammonia (NH3) to reach equivalence. Then, what is the pH of this at the equivalence point.

Buffer solution (equilibrium): NH3 + H20 ⇌ NH4+ + OH-
Other Info: .045M NH4+ and .024M NH3
and the pH of the buffer is 8.99
Kb NH3 = 1.8 x 10-5 Not sure if this is needed though.

Homework Equations

Molarity = n(moles)/V(volume in L)
pH = -log[H+]
Brackets means the concentration of the substance on the inside.
Not sure what else, I am sure there's some stoichiometry involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a lot of trouble with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I've actually managed to do a bit but I'd really appreciate some help.

I've got the hydrolysis equation:
NH3 + H+ <--> NH4+
__.024M______.022M_______________.045M
__110ml________?ml________________110ml
.00264mol_________________________.00495mol

Do i just use stoichiometry to figure out the missing volume? And the equivalence, how does that play into the problem? Thanks in advance.

So I ended up doing some stoichiometry and got 120 ml of HCl required and then calculated the pH to 1.96. Can someone help me out?

I know that at the equivalence point, the moles of acid added will be equal to the moles of base present in the buffer solution. However, I'm not sure how to use this information to calculate the volume of acid needed.

First, we can start by writing out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between HCl and NH3:
HCl + NH3 → NH4+ + Cl-

Next, we can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the pH of the buffer solution at the given concentrations:
pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA])
where pKa is the negative log of the acid dissociation constant (Ka) and [A-] and [HA] are the concentrations of the conjugate base and acid, respectively.

Since the buffer is made up of NH3 and NH4+, we can use the Kb value given to calculate the pKa:
pKa = 14 - pKb = 14 - (-log(1.8 x 10^-5)) = 14 + 5.74 = 19.74

Now, we can plug in the given concentrations to the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:
8.99 = 19.74 + log([NH4+]/[NH3])
Solving for [NH4+]/[NH3], we get a ratio of 0.045/0.024 = 1.875.

Since we know that at the equivalence point, the moles of acid added will be equal to the moles of base present in the buffer solution, we can set up an equation using the molarity formula:
Molarity of acid = Molarity of base
nHCl/VHCl = nNH3/VNH3
where n is the number of moles and V is the volume in liters.

We can rearrange the equation to solve for VHCl:
VHCl = (nNH3/nHCl) * VNH3
Since we want to reach equivalence, we know that the moles of acid added (nHCl) will be equal to the moles of NH3 present in the buffer (nNH3). So, we can simplify the equation to:
VHCl = VNH3

Now, we can plug in the given values for the volume of the buffer (110 ml = 0.11 L) and the concentration of NH3 (0.024 M) to solve

1. What is the difference between equilibrium and equivalence calculations?

Equilibrium calculations involve determining the concentrations of reactants and products at a given point in a chemical reaction. Equilibrium is reached when the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates. Equivalence calculations, on the other hand, involve determining the amount of one substance needed to completely react with another substance. Equivalence is reached when the moles of one substance are equal to the moles of another substance in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you calculate equilibrium constants?

The equilibrium constant, denoted as K, is calculated by taking the ratio of the products raised to their coefficients to the reactants raised to their coefficients. The coefficients are the numbers that appear before the chemical formulas in a balanced chemical equation. The values of K depend on the temperature and are a measure of how far a reaction proceeds towards equilibrium.

3. What factors affect equilibrium and equivalence calculations?

The factors that affect equilibrium and equivalence calculations include temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position and alter the values of equilibrium constants. In equivalence calculations, the stoichiometry of the reaction also plays a role in determining the amount of one substance needed to react with another.

4. How do you determine the equilibrium constant experimentally?

The equilibrium constant can be determined experimentally by measuring the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium and plugging them into the equilibrium constant expression. This can be done using various methods such as titration, spectrophotometry, or chromatography. The value obtained experimentally may differ from the theoretical value due to factors such as experimental error or incomplete reactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of equilibrium and equivalence calculations?

Equilibrium and equivalence calculations are important in various fields, including chemistry, biology, and environmental science. They are used to understand chemical reactions in the human body, such as the binding of oxygen to hemoglobin in blood. In industry, these calculations are used to optimize chemical processes and determine the ideal conditions for producing a desired product. In environmental science, they are used to analyze the impact of pollutants and to develop strategies for remediation.