Understanding Vector Spaces: ||x||_inf and max |x_i| in R^n

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether the function ||x||_inf = max | x_i | for 1 <= i <= n defines a norm on R^(n). The definition of a norm and its three axioms are mentioned, and the participant suggests that the function in question is the "Euclidean Norm" for l_n. The correct definition of the "infimum" norm on Rn is also provided.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

Does ||x||_inf = max | x_i | for 1 <= i <= n define a norm on R^(n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, I thought I understood vector spaces but this problem is confusing the heck out of me.

A norm is a function that assigns a positive and finite length to all vectors in a vector space.

so ||x||_inf = sqrt(x1^2 + x2^2 + ... x_inf)

max |x_i| depends on n in R^n

Can someone give me like a simple example? i.e. n = 2

Then ||x||_inf = max (|x1|, |x2|)?

The maximum distance between all vectors would be equal to the distance from 0 to the greatest vector. rather, infinity would be considered bounded by the max vector?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To determine if a function is a norm, you must check if is satisfies three axioms for all v,w in the vector space V:

||v|| >= 0 and equal to 0 iff v = 0.
|| v + w || <= || v || + || w ||
|| cv || = |c| || v ||,
where c is any scalar in the field the vector space is over.

Good Luck!

So the the question is asking whether max |x_i| for 1 <= i <= n satisfies these conditions?

Your definition of the norm is wrong. I think what you are writing (but [itex]x_{inf} should be squared and you should write [itex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty x_i^2[/itex]- there is no "[itex]x_{inf}[/itex]" member) is the "Euclidean Norm" (as you titled this thread) for [itex]l_n[/itex], the space of square summable sequences. The "infimum" norm on Rn is [itex]MAX(x_1, x_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, x_n)[/itex].

Thanks.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by scalars to form new vectors. These operations follow certain rules and properties, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity.

What is the difference between ||x||inf and max |xi| in Rn?

||x||inf (also known as the infinity norm or maximum norm) of a vector x in Rn is the maximum absolute value of its components. On the other hand, max |xi| is the maximum absolute value of a single component of x. In other words, the ||x||inf norm measures the overall magnitude of a vector, while max |xi| measures the magnitude of a specific component.

How do you calculate ||x||inf and max |xi| in Rn?

To calculate ||x||inf, you need to find the absolute value of each component of x, then take the maximum value among all these absolute values. For max |xi|, you simply need to find the maximum absolute value among all the components of x.

What are some applications of vector spaces in science?

Vector spaces are used extensively in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, computer science, and statistics. They are used to model and solve problems involving quantities with direction and magnitude, such as forces, velocities, and electric fields. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis for dimension reduction and feature extraction.

What is the importance of understanding vector spaces in science?

Vector spaces provide a powerful and flexible framework for representing and manipulating physical and abstract quantities in science. By understanding vector spaces, scientists can better model and solve complex problems, make accurate predictions, and gain insights into the underlying structures and relationships in their data. Vector spaces also serve as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques used in science.