Free Fall Question (Non-solvable 2nd order equation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a physics problem involving a ball thrown vertically from a tower. The book solution uses the top of the tower as the y-axis, while the person speaking wants to use the ground as the y-axis. The solution is to use an arbitrary initial position and solve for when the ball reaches a height of 50m again. This can be done by subtracting 50 from each side of the equation.
phys_student1
Hi,

This is from "3000 solved problems in physics". Yes, I have the solution but
I still have a question.

a ball is thrown vertically upward with a velocity of 20 m/s from a top of a tower
having height of 50m. On its return it misses the tower and finally hits the ground.

What time t elapses from the moment the ball is thrown until it passes the edge of the tower?

The book solution is clear, it chooses y=0 to be at the top of the tower.
Then: y=vot + (1/2)at2
This is solved to give t=0 (the beginning) or t=4.08s.

OK, nice, but I'd like the y-axis to be at the ground. Clearly, I cannot apply the above equation,
because it will neglect the additional potential energy that the ball have when now it's 50m above
the y axis. (If I substituted 50 for y in the eqn, I'll get a non-solvable eqn, or, if you like, an imaginary solution).

So how can we solve this (without using the concept of energy) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking y= 0 at the bottom of the tower means each point will have "y" 50 higher than before- that will give you [itex]y= v_0t+ (1/2)at^2+ 50[/itex]. And, since the problem asks for the time the ball passes the tower again, you want to know when the ball will again have height 50. That is, you want to solve
[tex]y= v_0t+ (1/2)at^2+ 50= 50[/tex]

Subtract 50 from each side and you have exactly the same equation as before.

Just to add to what Halls' explained:
ali8 said:
Then: y=vot + (1/2)at2
This equation assumes that y = 0 at t = 0. A more general equation would have an arbitrary initial position y0:
y = y0 + v0t + (1/2)at2

Thanks a lot !

Yes, I should have used (delta y), rather than (y).

Many thanks again.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I understand your concern about wanting to have the y-axis at the ground level instead of at the top of the tower. In this case, we can still use the equation y=vot + (1/2)at^2 to solve for the time t, but we just need to adjust our initial position and final position values.

Since we want the y-axis to be at the ground level, we can set y=0 to be at the ground level instead of at the top of the tower. This means that our initial position (yo) will now be -50m (negative because it is below the y-axis) and our final position (y) will be 0m. So our equation becomes:

0 = -50 + 20t + (1/2)(-9.8)t^2

Solving for t, we get t= 4.08s or t = 0s. However, we know that t=0s is not the correct answer since the ball is thrown at the beginning of the experiment. So the correct answer is t=4.08s, which is the same as the book solution.

In this case, we did not have to use the concept of energy to solve the problem. We simply adjusted our initial and final position values to be consistent with our chosen y-axis.

I hope this helps clarify your question. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best,

1. How is free fall different from regular motion?

Free fall is a type of motion that occurs when an object is only under the influence of gravity. This means that there are no other forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or friction. In regular motion, there may be multiple forces acting on an object, causing it to move in a more complex manner.

2. What is the equation for free fall?

The equation for free fall is y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where y is the final position, y0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you solve a non-solvable 2nd order equation for free fall?

Unfortunately, there is no general solution for a non-solvable 2nd order equation for free fall. This is because the equation involves the square of time, which results in two possible solutions. In order to solve for a specific scenario, you would need to know at least two of the variables (final position, initial position, initial velocity, time, and acceleration due to gravity).

4. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is a constant value that represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface under the influence of gravity. On Earth, the average value for acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

5. Can free fall occur in a vacuum?

Yes, free fall can occur in a vacuum as long as there are no other external forces acting on the object. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance or friction, so the only force acting on the object would be gravity. This is why astronauts appear to be floating in space - they are essentially in a state of free fall around the Earth.