Drawing a Collection Of vectors Satisfying Cross Products

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the collection of all position vectors c that satisfy a x b = a x c, where a = <1,2,3> and b = <1,-1,-1>. After calculating a x b and defining c = <x,y,z>, a x c is found to be <2z-3y, z-3x, y-2x>. A system of equations is then created to find an algebraic representation of the vectors, with x,y, and z being possible solutions. However, it is noted that c cannot be unique as a x c = a x (c+k*a) for any constant k.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Given a = <1,2,3> and b = <1,-1,-1>, sketch the collection of all position vectors c satisfying a x b = a x c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated a x b = <1,4,-3> and Defining c = <x,y,z> I found a x c = <2z-3y, z-3x, y-2x>. I want to come up with an algebraic representation of the vectors so I created the following system of equations

1 = 2z - 3y
4 = 3x - z
-3 = y - 2x

So x,y, and z that satisfy all three equations are a possible vector. I'm having trouble solving it, and I'm thinking I'm just going to get a single solution to this system If I do manage to solve it and it has a solution.

Can you help?

Physics news on Phys.org
themadhatter1 said:

Homework Statement

Given a = <1,2,3> and b = <1,-1,-1>, sketch the collection of all position vectors c satisfying a x b = a x c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated a x b = <1,4,-3> and Defining c = <x,y,z> I found a x c = <2z-3y, z-3x, y-2x>. I want to come up with an algebraic representation of the vectors so I created the following system of equations

1 = 2z - 3y
4 = 3x - z
-3 = y - 2x

So x,y, and z that satisfy all three equations are a possible vector. I'm having trouble solving it, and I'm thinking I'm just going to get a single solution to this system If I do manage to solve it and it has a solution.

Can you help?

You are doing fine so far, I think. But if you think you will get a single solution you are jumping to conclusions. Work out the solution to your system. a x c=a x (c+k*a) for any constant k. c can't possibly be unique.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction and its length represents the magnitude.

2. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

3. Why is it important to have a collection of vectors satisfying cross products?

Having a collection of vectors satisfying cross products is important because it allows us to find a set of vectors that are mutually orthogonal, meaning they are at right angles to each other. This is useful in many applications such as geometry, physics, and engineering.

4. How do you draw a collection of vectors satisfying cross products?

To draw a collection of vectors satisfying cross products, you first need to have a set of at least three vectors. Then, using the cross product operation, you can find a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. Repeat this process for each pair of vectors in the set, and you will have a collection of vectors satisfying cross products.

5. What are some real-world applications of vectors satisfying cross products?

Vectors satisfying cross products have many real-world applications. One example is in 3D computer graphics, where they are used to calculate lighting and shading in 3D models. They are also used in physics to calculate torque and angular momentum, and in engineering for designing structures and machinery.