Equivalent Expressions: Solve Energy Spectrum Transcendental Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a research project involving a transcendental equation for the energy spectrum. The speaker has found two equivalent expressions, but is having trouble arriving at one from the other. After receiving help from others, it is determined that the equations are not equal and a new approach must be used.
intervoxel
In my research project I arrived at a particular case where the energy spectrum is given by the following transcendental equation

[itex]
\sqrt{-\frac{E}{E+V_D}}=\tan\frac{a\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(E+V_D)}}{2}
[/itex]

In the literature I found the equivalent expression below

[itex]
\cot a\sqrt{-\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}E}=\frac{2E+V_D}{2\sqrt{-E(E+V_D)}}
[/itex]

From the first expression I should get to the second one in order to show the consistency of the theory. But, no matter I have tried, I couldn't find out a solution for this problem.

Can anyone help me, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are not equal.

You are right. There's an error now corrected:
[itex]
\sqrt{-\frac{E}{E+V_D}}=\tan\frac{a\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(E+V_D)}}{2}
[/itex]

[itex]
\cot a\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(E+V_D)}=\frac{2E+V_D}{2 \sqrt{-E(E+V_D)}}
[/itex]

The eigenvalue E=-20.54769241 (for parameters V_D=50, a=1, m=1, hbar=1), for example, satisfies both equations.

Still I'm not able to arrive at the other formula.

I tried tan(x/2)=csc(x)-cot(x), etc.

Those aren't equal either.

how about using:

2cot(x)=((1/tan(x/2)) - tan(x/2))

then plug in for tan(x/2), where x=a\sqrt(2m(E+V)/hbar^2), using the LHS of your first expression... and I guess be careful about signs and square roots.

Thank you olgranpappy and vanadium50 for your valuable help.

1. What is an equivalent expression?

An equivalent expression is a mathematical expression that has the same value as another expression. This means that if you were to solve both expressions, you would get the same result.

2. What is the energy spectrum transcendental equation?

The energy spectrum transcendental equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the energy levels of a physical system. It is often used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy states of atoms and molecules.

3. How do you solve the energy spectrum transcendental equation?

The energy spectrum transcendental equation can be solved using numerical methods such as iteration or approximation techniques. However, for simple systems, it can also be solved analytically by using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or substitution.

4. What is the importance of solving the energy spectrum transcendental equation?

Solving the energy spectrum transcendental equation is important because it allows us to understand the energy levels of a physical system and make predictions about its behavior. It is also essential for studying quantum mechanics and developing new technologies such as lasers and semiconductors.

5. Can equivalent expressions be used in other areas of science?

Yes, equivalent expressions can be used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They are commonly used to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve, as well as to make connections between different concepts and theories.