Dielectric constant of neurons

In summary, the poster is looking for values for dielectric constants of neurons and nerve fibers in the range of 1e12 - 1e14 Hz. They have found data up to 1e11 Hz and have come across some journal articles and a note on terahertz exposure for biological tissues. The poster also acknowledges that biological tissues likely have a skin-depth function and a dispersion relation.
MarkoF
Hello! First time poster. I hope this is not a wrong sub-forum for this kind of question.

Can anyone tell me where can I find values for dielectric constants of neurons and nerve fibers for frequencies in the range of 1e12 - 1e14 Hz (optical and RF part of the spectrum)?

I have found data only up to 1e11 Hz (Gabriel 1996 - The dielectric properties of biological tissues: III), and most of the other works cover frequencies up to GHz.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't think biological tissues really have a "constant". They probably have a skin-depth function and a dispersion relation. After a little internet research:

Here's a journal article that outlines a general equation

http://pre.aps.org/abstract/PRE/v60/i4/p4677_1

here's a PDF referencing the above journal and breaking down the equation a little bit and giving some simple applications (cantorian fractals may be a way to model dendritic processes).

http://permittivity.org/tutorial%20pdf/bds-tut-09-raicu.pdf

I'm not sure this is really a simple question. If there's no experimental data, someone has to do the theoretical work based on what's been observed.

Here's a note on the state of terahertz exposure for biological tissues in general:

http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/761/

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, it would rather be a function, my mistake.

Thank you for the links, they look very promissing! It would seem that I have yet to learn about proper net searching. :-)

What is the dielectric constant of neurons?

The dielectric constant of neurons, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of the ability of a neuron to store an electric charge when an external electric field is applied. It is typically represented by the symbol ε or κ and is a dimensionless quantity.

How does the dielectric constant of neurons affect nerve conduction?

The dielectric constant of neurons plays a crucial role in nerve conduction by influencing the speed at which an electrical signal travels down a neuron. A higher dielectric constant means the neuron can store more electric charge, leading to faster nerve impulses.

What factors affect the dielectric constant of neurons?

The dielectric constant of neurons can be influenced by various factors such as the composition and structure of the neuron's membrane, the presence of ion channels, and the concentration of charged molecules inside and outside the cell.

How is the dielectric constant of neurons measured?

The dielectric constant of neurons can be measured using techniques such as dielectric spectroscopy, which involves applying an alternating electric field to a sample of neurons and measuring the resulting polarization and capacitance.

What is the significance of studying the dielectric constant of neurons?

Understanding the dielectric properties of neurons is essential for studying the electrical activity of the brain and nervous system. It can also provide insights into the underlying mechanisms of neurological disorders and inform the development of new treatments and technologies for these conditions.