Find electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave

In summary, the electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave with an average energy density of 1 J/m^3 are approximately 336300 V/m and 0.001121 T respectively. However, these values may be for the RMS values and not the peak values, which are generally used as the amplitude of a wave. To find the peak values, multiply these values by √(2).
Cade
[Solved] Find electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave

Homework Statement

Find the electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave that has an average energy density of 1 J/m^3

Homework Equations

u = Energy density
u = (1/2)(e0)(E^2) + (1/2)(B^2/u0)
or u = (e0)(E^2)
or u = (B^2)/u0

E = cB, c = speed of light

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's find E first:
u = e0*E^2
E = sqrt(u/e0) = sqrt(1/(8.85*10^-12)) = 336146 V/m
336146 V/m is apparently wrong for E. Let's try B instead

u = (B^2)/u0
B = sqrt(u*u0) = 0.001121 T
Now let's try E = cB to find E
E = (3*10^8)(0.001121) = 336300 V/m

But both E and B are wrong. What am I missing? Percent error tolerance for a correct answer is 10%.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answers are for the RMS values of the fields, rather than for the peak values. The peak values are generally used for the amplitude of a wave.

Try multiplying your answers by √(2) .

Edit: This is the equation I used, I have Uav = 1 J/m^3

dEHaO.png

Edit: Oh, I see. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

1. What are the electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave?

The electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave are the maximum strength or intensity of the electric and magnetic fields, respectively, at any point in space. They are measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) for the electric field and tesla (T) for the magnetic field.

2. How can I calculate the electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave?

The electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave can be calculated using the following equations:

Electric field amplitude (E0) = c x B0 where c is the speed of light and B0 is the magnetic field amplitude

Magnetic field amplitude (B0) = E0 / c where c is the speed of light and E0 is the electric field amplitude

3. Can the electric and magnetic field amplitudes vary in an electromagnetic wave?

Yes, the electric and magnetic field amplitudes can vary in an electromagnetic wave. They oscillate between maximum and minimum values as the wave propagates through space. This oscillation is what creates the alternating current in electrical circuits.

4. How do the electric and magnetic field amplitudes relate to each other in an electromagnetic wave?

The electric and magnetic field amplitudes are directly proportional to each other in an electromagnetic wave. As one increases, the other also increases. The ratio of the two amplitudes is determined by the speed of light, which is a constant value.

5. What factors can affect the electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave?

The electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave can be affected by the frequency and intensity of the wave, as well as the properties of the medium through which the wave is propagating. Changes in these factors can cause the amplitudes to increase or decrease, resulting in changes to the overall strength of the electromagnetic wave.