Solving Plumbing Troubles in a Dorm Room

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
In summary: Problem fixedIn summary, the protagonist's first time living in a dorm, he had a problem with his toilet not stopping flushing and notified maintenance. Maintenance fixed the issue and the protagonist was grateful. Two weeks ago, the same problem happened again and the protagonist notified maintenance. Yesterday, the protagonist's toilet stopped flushing and he realized there was a leak in his room too. Maintenance arrived and replaced the toilet. Today, the protagonist discovered there was a leak in his bathroom wall and notified maintenance. Maintenance replaced the wall and the protagonist was grateful. Last night, the protagonist's new toilet stopped flushing. The protagonist is confused and needs to ask his dorm's bathroom if it has its own bathroom.
ƒ(x)
So, this is my first time in a dorm. Here's a breakdown of what's happened. I'm just looking for some opinions/venting.

August - Toilet works fine
Two weeks ago - Toilet won't stop flushing (As I'm a guy, I like it this way)
Two days ago - Notify maintenance about toilet (I felt bad about wasting the water)
Yesterday - Maintenance guy fixes toilet
Yesterday evening - Notice that the toilet is leaking, think "no big deal" since it's in a wet-room, and notify maintenance
This morning - Discover that there's also a leak in my dorm/bathroom wall. Toilet water is everywhere
Later this morning - Maintenance arrives, replaces toilet with a smaller toilet, and leaves
This evening - Realize that my new toilet won't flush

Thus confirming that the universe runs on irony.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thsi sort of thing is quite normal.

Look at it from the maintenance guy's point of view. If there are no problems that need fixing, he will lose his job. Therefore...

AlephZero said:
Thsi sort of thing is quite normal.

Look at it from the maintenance guy's point of view. If there are no problems that need fixing, he will lose his job. Therefore...

this happens often?

ƒ(x) said:
So, this is my first time in a dorm. Here's a breakdown of what's happened. I'm just looking for some opinions/venting.

Two weeks ago - Toilet won't stop flushing (As I'm a guy, I like it this way)

Likely this was due to the gasket around the flapper valve, which usually costs ~$1.50 at Lowes and can be replace without any tools in a 5 minutes.

Shut the water off, take lid off, remove the flapper valve from the plunger handle, the gasket fits around the hole in the bottom of the tank. Over time they get old, warped and won't make a good seal and water will leak through, into the bowl, but not fast enough to cause a flush.

No idea what the repair guy did in order to cause the toilet to leak, maybe the water line into the bowl, as it must be turned off to the repair. The valve there can leak if tighten either way too tight.

Insanity said:
Over time they get old, warped and won't make a good seal
Reminds me of the ex's lips...

Insanity said:
Likely this was due to the gasket around the flapper valve, which usually costs ~$1.50 at Lowes and can be replace without any tools in a 5 minutes.

Shut the water off, take lid off, remove the flapper valve from the plunger handle, the gasket fits around the hole in the bottom of the tank. Over time they get old, warped and won't make a good seal and water will leak through, into the bowl, but not fast enough to cause a flush.

No idea what the repair guy did in order to cause the toilet to leak, maybe the water line into the bowl, as it must be turned off to the repair. The valve there can leak if tighten either way too tight.

Problem fixed

I'm confused. Does your dorm have its own bathroom?

When I was in college, there was a row of about 10 stalls, mostly without doors, and half filled with vomit.

Danger said:
Reminds me of the ex's lips...

:biggrin:

Lol, I feel your pain!

I'm the one who usually fixed these problems myself.

1. How can I unclog a shower drain in my dorm room?

To unclog a shower drain in your dorm room, start by removing any visible debris or hair from the drain. Next, pour a cup of baking soda down the drain followed by a cup of vinegar. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then flush with hot water. If the clog persists, try using a plunger or a drain snake to remove any stubborn blockages.

2. What should I do if my toilet won't flush in my dorm room?

If your toilet won't flush in your dorm room, the first thing to check is the water level in the tank. If it's too low, try adjusting the float or fill valve to increase the water level. If that doesn't work, check for any clogs in the toilet bowl or the drain pipe. You can also try using a plunger to dislodge any blockages. If the problem persists, contact your dorm's maintenance department for assistance.

3. How can I fix a leaky faucet in my dorm room?

To fix a leaky faucet in your dorm room, start by turning off the water supply to the faucet. Then, disassemble the faucet and check for any worn out or damaged parts such as the O-ring or washer. Replace any faulty parts and reassemble the faucet. Turn the water supply back on and test the faucet to ensure the leak has been fixed.

4. What should I do if my dorm room sink is draining slowly?

If your dorm room sink is draining slowly, it could be due to a clog in the drain pipe. Start by removing any visible debris or hair from the drain. Next, try using a plunger to loosen the clog or pour a mixture of baking soda and vinegar down the drain. If the problem persists, try using a drain snake to remove any stubborn blockages. If none of these methods work, contact your dorm's maintenance department for assistance.

5. How can I prevent plumbing problems in my dorm room?

To prevent plumbing problems in your dorm room, make sure to avoid flushing anything other than waste and toilet paper down the toilet. Also, avoid pouring grease and food scraps down the sink as they can cause clogs. Regularly clean your drains and avoid using chemical drain cleaners as they can damage your pipes. If you notice any issues, report them to your dorm's maintenance department immediately to prevent further damage.