Is the Sunfire Compiler Worth Downloading for Programming?

• Thread starter CartoonKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compiler
In summary: Better yet, if you're looking for a more recent compiler, try finding one for your system that the instructor has installed. That's generalizing. The Intel compilers are much more efficient than GCC for x86 code, the MIPSpro suite produces much more efficient code for MIPS, and Sun One produces much, much faster code for Sparcs. If you're looking for a more recent compiler, try finding one for your system that the instructor has installed.
CartoonKid
Does anyone of you know about this Sunfire compiler? Where can I download it? I need it for my next sem programming module. It's not available for downloading from my uni site. According to my friend's comment, it's not user friendly. So I want to get familiar with it before my next sem starts. Thanks in advance for helping.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the Sunfire compiler. I assume you are referring to the 'Sun One Studio' package, which includes a suite of compilers, C, C++, etc. Sun makes a series of servers called the 'Fire' series, which leads me to believe your confusion with 'Sunfire.'

If so, the Studio suite is rather expensive, approximately $3,000 USD. You can download an evaluation version, and if I remember correctly, it lasts for 30 days.

For more information:

http://wwws.sun.com/software/products/studio/index.html

As far as user friendly goes, it's like any other UNIX compiler suite, and should have similar arguments and flags. Most features you probably won't be using, such as the vast number of Sparc optimizations the suite supports.

If you're familiar with the GNU Compiler Collection, Sun Studio shouldn't be anything new, unless you plan on doing anything spectacular.

If you feel that you are unable to afford a license, or don't feel like playing with the evaluation version, I'd suggest installing the GNU Compiler Collection. If you're running any derivative of UNIX, or any free-deriviative UNIX, you'll need to check if you have 'gcc', 'g++,' etc. If not, you'll need to read the appropriate documentation for your OS and install the needed packages.

If you're using Windows, the solution is simple:

http://www.cygwin.com

Cygwin allows to run UNIX applications in Windows (they must be compiled in Cygwin, however). During the install, it'll ask you which packages you would like to install. Of course, install all the development tools, which will install the GNU Compiler Collection. Be sure to read any appropriate documentation.

If you'd like more solutions, I'll offer one more. I assume that since the Fire server will be using Sun Studio, you might be able to request a login (if you don't already have one) to the system, so you could use telnet or SSH and use the system remotely or a remote X session.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information. I have installed the Sun One Studio 5.0. However, it looks very complicated for me to use. Do you know where can I look for this Sun fire in it? Do you know any good online tutorial for it? Thanks.

CartoonKid said:
Thanks for the information. I have installed the Sun One Studio 5.0. However, it looks very complicated for me to use. Do you know where can I look for this Sun fire in it? Do you know any good online tutorial for it? Thanks.

There is no such thing as a 'Sunfire.' Sun makes a series of servers called the Fire series, which is where I believe you got your confusion from. You'll probably be working on a Fire series serving in class, using Sun One Studio.

If I may ask, what course will you be taking?

Edit: By the way, you might want to try finding something more recent. Version 5 is rather old, considering Version 9 is out now.

Last edited:
The course I will be taking is "Programming Methology using C". In my textbook, it mentions something about sunfire system.

CartoonKid said:
The course I will be taking is "Programming Methology using C". In my textbook, it mentions something about sunfire system.

Yes, the "Sun Fire" is a system.

If it's just a C programming course, you probably won't be using all the features of Sun One, also known as Forte. If you don't feel comfortable with the documentation that came with Sun One, plenty of other compiler suites exist with plenty of documentation.

If it's not a C programming course aimed at training you to support a particular system - if it's a general C programming course, especially at beginner level, then it won't matter which C compiler you use - they're all pretty much the same. Once you can program in C for one operating system, it's very easy to transfer your skills to any other system.

As others have posted, there are some fine 'free' compilers out there. Better than the expensive ones in many ways.

ceptimus said:
As others have posted, there are some fine 'free' compilers out there. Better than the expensive ones in many ways.

That's generalizing. The Intel compilers are much more efficient than GCC for x86 code, the MIPSpro suite produces much more efficient code for MIPS, and Sun One produces much, much faster code for Sparcs.

Unless you demand the absolute, best performance, GCC and any other '`free' compiler will suffice, hence. why they are free.

1. What is the Sunfire Compiler?

The Sunfire Compiler is a high-performance optimizing compiler designed for the Sun Microsystems SPARC architecture. It was developed by the Sun Microsystems Compiler Group and was first released in 1987.

2. How does the Sunfire Compiler differ from other compilers?

The Sunfire Compiler uses advanced optimization techniques such as loop unrolling, instruction scheduling, and register allocation to improve the performance of compiled code. It also has support for parallelization and vectorization, making it suitable for high-performance computing applications.

3. Is the Sunfire Compiler still in use today?

While the Sunfire Compiler is no longer actively developed, it is still used in legacy systems and applications that require compatibility with the SPARC architecture. Many modern compilers have also incorporated some of its optimization techniques.

4. Can the Sunfire Compiler be used for other architectures?

No, the Sunfire Compiler was specifically designed for the SPARC architecture and cannot be used for other architectures. However, its optimization techniques and algorithms can be adapted for other compilers.

5. Is the Sunfire Compiler open-source?

No, the Sunfire Compiler is not open-source. It was developed and owned by Sun Microsystems, which was later acquired by Oracle Corporation. However, there are open-source alternatives available that use similar optimization techniques.