How to succeed in AP Physics B? HELP

In summary, the student is seeking advice on how to succeed in AP Physics B. They are struggling with studying and want to get an A in the class and a 5 on the exam. They have tried to find a study buddy and ask the teacher for help, but haven't been successful. The expert suggests going to a website with past AP Physics B questions and practicing them to improve their skills. They also mention that while this may help with the AP exam, it may not fully prepare the student for college physics.
ifedimma
How to succeed in AP Physics B? HELP!

Hi! I am new to the physics forum. I thought by signing up, I will get my answer, so here it goes!

Ok, so I am in AP physics in my high school, I am a senior. I have trouble trying to study for physics! Like I really do not know how to literally get an A on my test and quizzes! I really really really want to pass this class with an A and pass the exam with a 5! And I actually love physics! I am thinking of taking it in college too! But I don't want to take the same subject again if I fail. Do not tell me to drop the class because it is too late. I love the classes I am taking now. I know that I have to work hard but I just don't know how to start! Also I tried to get a study buddy but they weren't really good at explaining physics. And the teacher is awesome but I have no time to ask for help. So please tell me how I can study for the class. How do YOU study for physics? Working out the problems? Doing them over and over again? What?

Share your success and failures!

Thank you soo much! Respond soon!

Physics news on Phys.org

go here
http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/2007.html
From this page, you can see every question that has been asked on the AP Physics B exam since 1999. This is open to the public, so you are not cheating. In fact I tell all my AP students they should do every problem in this link before the exam. The answers are there as well, including samples of actual student work and how they were graded.

The positive side is, by doing a lot of problems, you will get better and better.

The down side is, AP tends to be rather narrow in the type of questions they ask. You could be prepared for the AP exam, but not prepared for college Physics. Still, getting good at something is a great place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi Meson said:
go here
http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/2007.html
From this page, you can see every question that has been asked on the AP Physics B exam since 1999. This is open to the public, so you are not cheating. In fact I tell all my AP students they should do every problem in this link before the exam. The answers are there as well, including samples of actual student work and how they were graded.

The positive side is, by doing a lot of problems, you will get better and better.

The down side is, AP tends to be rather narrow in the type of questions they ask. You could be prepared for the AP exam, but not prepared for college Physics. Still, getting good at something is a great place to start.

Thank you! So you are a physics teacher?

Last edited by a moderator:

My students seem to think so!

Hi there! As a scientist, my advice to you would be to approach AP Physics B with a growth mindset. This means viewing challenges as opportunities for growth and learning, rather than obstacles to overcome. It's great that you love physics and want to do well in the class and exam! Here are some tips to help you succeed:

1. Understand the material: Make sure you have a strong grasp of the key concepts in each topic. Don't just memorize equations, try to understand the underlying principles and how they apply in different situations.

2. Practice, practice, practice: Physics is a subject that requires a lot of practice to truly understand and apply. Work through practice problems and past exam questions to get comfortable with the material and identify any areas you may need to focus on.

3. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or peers when you are struggling with a concept. They can provide valuable insights and explanations that may help you better understand the material.

4. Study actively: Instead of just reading or watching lectures, actively engage with the material by taking notes, asking questions, and working through problems. This will help you retain information better and identify any areas you need to review.

5. Use resources: There are many online resources available for AP Physics B, such as Khan Academy, Crash Course, and various study guides. Utilize these resources to supplement your learning and practice.

6. Review regularly: Instead of cramming before a test, review the material regularly to keep it fresh in your mind. This will also help you identify any weak areas that you may need to focus on.

Remember, success in AP Physics B is not just about getting an A or a 5 on the exam. It's about truly understanding and enjoying the subject. Don't be discouraged by failures, use them as opportunities for growth and keep pushing yourself to improve. Good luck!

1. What are the key concepts to focus on in AP Physics B?

The key concepts to focus on in AP Physics B are mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. These topics cover the majority of the material on the exam.

2. How should I approach studying for AP Physics B?

It is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and equations in physics. Practice problems and past AP exams are also helpful in preparing for the exam. Make sure to also review and understand any labs or experiments covered in class.

3. Are there any specific resources or study materials that can help me succeed in AP Physics B?

There are many resources available to help you study for AP Physics B. Some popular options include review books, online practice tests, and YouTube videos. Your teacher may also have additional resources or recommendations.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the AP Physics B exam?

Practice is key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills. Make sure to regularly work through practice problems and past exams. It may also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Is it important to have a strong math background to succeed in AP Physics B?

Having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in AP Physics B. The exam includes many mathematical calculations and concepts, so it is important to be comfortable with algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus.