Four-Momentum Invariant and Conservation Laws Yielding Contradictory Results

In summary, the inconsistency in conservation of energy, momentum, and the four-momentum invariant equation can be resolved by recognizing that the invariant mass of the system is not equal to the sum of the invariant masses of the particles.
n+1
Hello PF community!

I'm having trouble with what strikes me as an inconsistency within conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, and the four-momentum invariant equation (E2-p2c2 = m2c4). For the sake of this question, I'll be using non-relativistic mass--i.e. mass is the same in all reference frames and p=γmv and E = γmc2.

Here is the situation I'm imagining: a particle of mass M moves in the +x direction with some velocity when suddenly it decays into two particles of mass (2/5)M moving in any ol' direction. By the conservation of momentum and energy, we know that some of our mass before the decay has been converted to kinetic energy. That's all okay.

The issue: since energy and momentum are conserved, combinations of them are conserved. For problem solving, a convenient combination is Ei2-pi2c2 = Ef2-pf2c2. But if we use the four-momentum invariant equation, we can substitute in mi2c4 and mf2c4 respectively. This leaves us with a problem; in the example, the Mf is less than the Mi, but we just derived that the final mass energy squared is equal to the initial mass energy squared. These statements are contradictory!

So where does the physics/math go awry?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi n+1, welcome to PF, and excellent first post.

The key to recognize is that the conservation laws apply to the whole system. So the invariant mass of the system is indeed conserved before and after the decay. However, the invariant mass of the system is not equal to the sum of the invariant masses of the particles. The best way to see that is simply to work out the problem you have outlined with some concrete numbers.

n+1 said:
For problem solving, a convenient combination is Ei2-pi2c2 = Ef2-pf2c2. But if we use the four-momentum invariant equation, we can substitute in mi2c4 and mf2c4 respectively. This leaves us with a problem; in the example, the Mf is less than the Mi, but we just derived that the final mass energy squared is equal to the initial mass energy squared.

The equation you wrote relating energy, momentum, and mass applies to a single particle. In the final state, you have two particles, not one. You have to write a separate equation relating E, p, and m for each final particle; these equations then become additional constraints on the final energy and momentum of each final particle, in addition to the conservation laws (sum of final energies equals initial energy, and vector sum of final momenta equals initial momentum).

A tip: try working the problem in a frame in which the initial particle is at rest; that way the initial momentum is zero and the equations get quite a bit simpler.

PeterDonis said:
The equation you wrote relating energy, momentum, and mass applies to a single particle.

I wrote my previous post before seeing DaleSpam's post; having seen it, I need to amend the above. Actually, you *can* write the equation E2 - p2 = m2 (in units where c = 1) for the entire system in the "final" state, where there are two particles; and when you do, as the OP discovered, you get that the total invariant mass m of the system is the *same* as it was before! This is a feature, not a bug. :wink: As DaleSpam says, the invariant mass m of the system as a whole is not the sum of the invariant masses of the individual particles, for multi-particle systems. You determine the invariant mass of the entire system, in fact, by the procedure just described: you know the total energy and momentum of the system from the conservation laws, so just subtract their squares (and take the square root of the result).

All that doesn't help in trying to figure out how the total energy and momentum of the system is divided up among its parts; that's where the stuff I posted previously comes in.

DaleSpam said:
However, the invariant mass of the system is not equal to the sum of the invariant masses of the particles.

PeterDonis said:
The equation you wrote relating energy, momentum, and mass applies to a single particle.

Ah, I see. I was implicitly assuming that (E1 + E2)2-(p1+p2)2 = (E12 - E22) + (p12 - p22) by saying that total invariant mass equals the sum of the individual particles' invariant masses. So naturally my invariant mass was off by (2E1E2 - 2p1p2).

Makes sense!

Thanks for your help Dale and Peter!

What is four-momentum invariant?

Four-momentum invariant is a physical quantity that remains constant in any reference frame in relativistic physics. It is a combination of energy and momentum that is conserved in interactions between particles.

What are conservation laws in physics?

Conservation laws are fundamental principles in physics that state certain physical quantities, such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum, remain constant during interactions between particles or systems. These laws are based on the principle of conservation of energy and mass.

Why do contradictory results occur with four-momentum invariant and conservation laws?

Contradictory results can occur when there is a violation of one or more conservation laws, leading to inconsistencies in the four-momentum invariant. This can happen in certain interactions between particles, such as particle decay, where the conservation of energy and momentum may not hold due to the release of energy in the form of radiation or other particles.

How are four-momentum invariant and conservation laws used in particle physics?

Four-momentum invariant and conservation laws are essential tools in particle physics for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles and their interactions. They are used to calculate the properties of particles, such as mass and energy, and to ensure the overall consistency of physical laws.

Can the four-momentum invariant and conservation laws be modified or extended?

Yes, in certain cases, the four-momentum invariant and conservation laws may need to be modified or extended to account for new observations or theories. For example, in the theory of general relativity, the conservation of energy and momentum is extended to include the conservation of spacetime curvature. These modifications are based on experimental evidence and are continuously refined as our understanding of the universe evolves.