Falling into a Volcano: Fact or Fiction? The Truth Behind the Myth

In summary, there has been an argument about whether a person would sink if they fell into a volcano due to the water/magma density difference. This argument neglects to consider factors such as composition, acceleration due to gravity, and extreme heat. It is believed that the force of gravity and the body's elements becoming part of the magma's composition would cause the body to sink. However, it may also depend on the temperature and crust of the magma. Further research and calculations are needed to determine the exact force required to break the surface tension of magma.
Mitchtwitchita
Recently, there has been an argument of whether or not you would sink if you were unlucky enough to fall into a volcano. The proponents of this argument focus their attention on the water/magma density difference. Since the human body consists of 60-70% water, and water is less dense than magma, the proponents of this argument conclude that you would not sink. Rather, you'd act like a water balloon hitting a wall. However, the argument neglects to mention such things as composition, acceleration due to gravity, and the extreme heat.

My contention is that the force of gravity, as one fell from the cone, would be sufficient enough to break the surface tension of the magma and sink. Additionally, as the body sank, the water would be drive off and the elements in the body would very quickly become part of the composition of the magma. Also, the gaseous component of the magma would allow for us to sink more readily depending on the abundance.

Here's the site for the argument:

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/sink-fall-volcano-lava-2225/

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like an archeology / anthropology question. "When humans were sacrificed to the gods by being thrown into a volcano, did they sink or did they float?"

Likely there are still some cultures where larger animals (e.g., pigs) are sacrificed in the boiling magma cauldron.

Might depend a lot on whether or not it has developed a crust.. The non-glowing crust would be rock hard.

@ NascentOxygen, Umm, it may be my fault for not articulating the question well enough but, what I'm interested in is whether or not a body would sink if that same body were unfortunate enough to fall from the ledge of a cinder cone into a pool of magma?

Zula110100100 - Say that the surface layer has not reached a temperature in which it is able to cool sufficiently?

In general, some math would be dynamite. Like, the force it takes to break the surface tension of water. I can make assumptions from there...

Zula110100100 - I was curious as to what applied force would break the surface tension of water? Maybe even a known equation that could apply would be dynamite? I do thank you for your input. I'll try to apply it...

I'm also confused as to your notation. because 72.8 mN/m = 72.8N. Is this the required force in order to breach the surface tension?

LOL, I'm an idiot. I got you man. Thanks Zula!

Mitchtwitchita said:
@ NascentOxygen, Umm, it may be my fault for not articulating the question well enough but, what I'm interested in is whether or not a body would sink if that same body were unfortunate enough to fall from the ledge of a cinder cone into a pool of magma?
What's it matter how you got there--whether through taking a tumble, or being pushed? In either case, it's curtains!

Well, it doesn't matter how one would fall.

What would matter is how the question is interpreted though. And, I don't feel as though you're understanding the question correctly, NascentOxygen. It's neither an archaeological question, nor is it anthropologic. Rather, it's a question of whether or not one would sink if they were unfortunate enough to fall from the edge of a volcano into its magma pool.

1. Is it possible to survive falling into a volcano?

Surviving a fall into a volcano is highly unlikely. The extreme heat, toxic gases, and powerful eruptions make it nearly impossible for a person to survive. In addition, the steep walls of most volcanoes make it difficult for someone to climb out.

2. Are there any recorded instances of people falling into a volcano and surviving?

There are no documented cases of someone intentionally or accidentally falling into a volcano and surviving. However, there have been rare instances where people have survived being near a volcano during an eruption, but not by falling directly into it.

3. Can a volcano's lava really melt a person?

Yes, the lava from a volcano can reach temperatures of over 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. This extreme heat can quickly cause a person's body to burn and melt. It is not possible for a person to survive being submerged in lava.

4. Are there any safety precautions that can be taken to survive falling into a volcano?

Unfortunately, there are no safety precautions that can be taken to survive falling into a volcano. The best way to avoid this situation is to stay away from active volcanoes and follow any warnings or evacuation orders from authorities.

5. Is falling into a volcano a common occurrence?

No, falling into a volcano is not a common occurrence. While there have been rare instances of people accidentally falling into volcanoes, it is not something that happens frequently. Most people who visit active volcanoes take necessary precautions to stay safe and avoid falling in.