Need help in controlling the speed of DC Motor ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to control the speed of a DC motor in four quadrant operation without using a microcontroller or PLC. The suggestion is to use PWM of the drive voltage via an H-bridge set of switch transistors, despite the challenge from a friend to do it without a uC. The idea of using a DC generator with the motor's shaft is mentioned, but the implementation is unclear. The goal is to fix the motor's speed using a volume adjusting type regulator or any other means.
Er.Electrical
Need help in controlling the speed of DC Motor ??

Can anyone of genius mind here tell me how to control the speed of dc motor in four quadrant operation automatically without using microcontroller or PLC ??
I Want to do a mini-project where i want to setup a speed from a keyboard input so that motor will rotate in that speed ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Er.Electrical said:
Can anyone of genius mind here tell me how to control the speed of dc motor in four quadrant operation automatically without using microcontroller or PLC ??
I Want to do a mini-project where i want to setup a speed from a keyboard input so that motor will rotate in that speed ??

You would use PWM of the drive voltage via an H-bridge set of switch transistors to control the DC motor. Why don't you want to use a uC to control the PWM waveforms? You will need to do some calibration of PWM --> speed anyway, so using a uC will let you put that table in its memory...

actually its a challenge from my friend.They want me to do such things.Initally i thought to use a dc generator with the shaft of the motor and calibrate the output voltage with speed.output of this generator is converted to digital and comapre with desired speed.but don't how to implement it.So if you can guide me there,i ll feel relax

Last edited by a moderator:

i wanted to see how you read a keyboard without a computer...

Yah..its impossible but forget the keyboard interface.Lets tale an volume adjusting type regulator.Just i want to fix a speed by anymeans

1. What is a DC motor and how does it work?

A DC motor is an electrical machine that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using the interaction between a magnetic field and an electric current to produce rotational motion.

2. How can I control the speed of a DC motor?

There are several ways to control the speed of a DC motor, including using a variable resistor, a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal, or a motor controller. These methods allow for adjusting the amount of current flowing through the motor, which affects its speed.

3. Can I use a DC motor speed controller on any type of DC motor?

No, not all DC motors are compatible with speed controllers. It is important to check the specifications of your motor and the controller to ensure they are compatible. Additionally, some motors may require specialized controllers for optimal speed control.

4. How do I choose the right speed controller for my DC motor?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a speed controller for your DC motor are the voltage and current ratings, as well as the type of motor (brushed or brushless). It is also important to consider the intended use and the required speed range of the motor.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a DC motor speed controller?

Yes, it is important to follow the instructions and safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer when using a speed controller. This may include proper wiring, insulation, and grounding to prevent electrical hazards. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the controller to ensure safe operation.