Maximizing area word problem WITHOUT LP formula

In summary: WwgZmluYWxseSBwcm9ibGVtIGlzIHVwY2FkZWQgdG8gc29sdmUgdGhpcyBwcm9ibGVtIHVzaW5nIG9uZSBvZiB0aGUgcGVyZm9ybWFuY2Ugb2YgYW5hbHlzaXMgKG5vIGxpbmVhciBwcm9ibGVtKQpJIGF0dGFjaGVkIGEgcGljdHVyZSB0byBoZWxwIHBAIHNvbnRlbnQgZGV0YWlsIG
csc2iffy
Homework Statement
We have to solve this problem using only what we learned in calculus (no linear programming)
I attached a picture to help :)

A farmer wants to build a rectangular pen. He has a barn wall 40 feet long, some or all of which must be used for all or part of one side of the pen. In other words, with f feet of of fencing material, he can build a pen with a perimeter of up to f+40 feet, and remember he isn't required to use all 40 feet.
What is the maximum possible area for the pen if 100 feet of fencing is available?The attempt at a solution
I attempted to solve by finding the critical points of the derivative:
2x+y=100 --> y=100-2x
x(100-2x)=100x-2x^2
f'(x)=100-4x
100-4x=0 --> x=25
2(25)+y=100 --> y=50
A=1250

BUT I realize this is wrong because if y=50, then the side of the barn needs an extra 10 feet, but all of the fencing material has been used by the other 3 sides. Help please?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
csc2iffy said:
Homework Statement
We have to solve this problem using only what we learned in calculus (no linear programming)
I attached a picture to help :)

A farmer wants to build a rectangular pen. He has a barn wall 40 feet long, some or all of which must be used for all or part of one side of the pen. In other words, with f feet of of fencing material, he can build a pen with a perimeter of up to f+40 feet, and remember he isn't required to use all 40 feet.
What is the maximum possible area for the pen if 100 feet of fencing is available?

The attempt at a solution
I attempted to solve by finding the critical points of the derivative:
2x+y=100 --> y=100-2x
x(100-2x)=100x-2x^2
f'(x)=100-4x
100-4x=0 --> x=25
2(25)+y=100 --> y=50
A=1250

BUT I realize this is wrong because if y=50, then the side of the barn needs an extra 10 feet, but all of the fencing material has been used by the other 3 sides. Help please?

You can write this problem as
maximize x*y
subject to
x + 2*y <= 100,
x <= 40,
x,y >= 0.

It is a nonlinear programming problem, because of the inequality constraints. If you haven't studied such problems yet, you should note that you can reduce it to 2 cases: (1) x + 2y < 100; (2) x + 2y = 100. In case (1) the constraint 2x+y <= 100 is not active, so it is like an unconstrained problem (but with a bound on x). In this case the y-derivative of A = x*y should be zero at an optimum, and doing that gives x = 0. This is obviously not a maximum, since we can do better than area = 0. So, we need to be in case (2): use all the available fencing. Thus, y = 50 - x/2, and putting that into A = x*y we have a function f(x) = x*(50 - x/2) to be maximized over 0 <= x <= 40.

As you have realized, you can't just set f'(x) = 0 because that violates the bound of 40. But *think about it*: why would you want to set the derivative of f to zero? You would want to to that because for x less than the critical point f is increasing, and after the critical point f is decreasing. In this case the critical point lies outside the allowed region, so what does that tell you about the max allowed value? Think about plotting a graph of the function f(x).

RGV

1. How do I solve a maximizing area word problem without using the LP formula?

To solve a maximizing area word problem without using the LP formula, you can use the concept of derivatives. First, write an equation for the area you want to maximize, in terms of one variable. Then, take the derivative of this equation and set it equal to zero. Solve for the variable and plug it back into the original equation to find the maximum area.

2. Can I use the same approach for all maximizing area word problems?

No, the approach of using derivatives to solve a maximizing area word problem may not work for all problems. It depends on the specific problem and whether or not it can be represented by a single variable equation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before determining the best approach to solve it.

3. Are there any other methods besides using derivatives to solve maximizing area word problems?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve maximizing area word problems. Some examples include using geometric formulas, setting up a system of equations, or using graphical methods. It is important to choose the method that best fits the problem and your own understanding.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in calculus to solve maximizing area word problems?

While a background in calculus can be helpful in solving maximizing area word problems, it is not always necessary. Basic algebra and geometry skills are often sufficient to solve these types of problems. However, having a strong understanding of calculus can provide additional insight and make the problem-solving process more efficient.

5. Can you provide an example of a maximizing area word problem without using the LP formula?

Sure, here is an example: A farmer has 300 meters of fencing and wants to enclose a rectangular area of land. What are the dimensions of the rectangle that will maximize the area? To solve this problem without using the LP formula, we can write an equation for the area (A) in terms of one variable, such as the length (l). A = l(300-2l). Taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero, we get l = 75. Plugging this back into the original equation, we find that the maximum area is 75 x 150 = 11,250 square meters.