Predicting solubility of ionic compounds in ionic liquids

In summary: For example, there is recent research investigating the use of ionic liquids as solvents for the separation of actinides and lanthanides.
uby
This question probably belittles the complexity of the issue, but I thought I'd ask anyway:

Are there any reasonable methods by which the solubility of ionic compounds (e.g., KCl, NaBr, CaO, etc.) in ionic liquids (e.g., 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium tetrafluoroborate, tetrabutylammonium bromide) can be predicted? For example, if I wanted to maximize the concentration of dissolved KCl, I'd like to have some guidelines to follow by which I can select the most appropriate ionic liquid.

Given that the ionic liquids can display such low melting temperatures due to the asymmetry and conformational flexibility of its constituent ions, I'd guess that the dissolution and dissociation of solid ionic compounds would be a complex process with difficult-to-predict ionic mixing/coordination in the liquid.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I recall this mention of there finally being enough data for gases dissolved in ionic liquids (ILs) to establish a "test set" to assess computational models the other year. Most of what I have seen in terms of rationalizing the solubility characteristics of ILs are in relation to its role in "greening" up synthetic chemistry and its applications (mixtures with organic solvents; various common synthetic starting materials and products/intermediates; and so on). Weirdly, I do recall interest in ILs with regard to lanthanide and actinide chemistry (including environmental applications), which is probably the closest to your inquiry about ionic compounds in ionic liquids. I am fairly certain it was not at the pithy "here are a few rules to remember" level, though.

I've never worked with ILs in any substantive manner, so hopefully someone more experienced will come around on this topic. Also, if you want me to run down my partially jogged memory for citations for the above, let me know.

Mike H said:
I recall this mention of there finally being enough data for gases dissolved in ionic liquids (ILs) to establish a "test set" to assess computational models the other year. Most of what I have seen in terms of rationalizing the solubility characteristics of ILs are in relation to its role in "greening" up synthetic chemistry and its applications (mixtures with organic solvents; various common synthetic starting materials and products/intermediates; and so on). Weirdly, I do recall interest in ILs with regard to lanthanide and actinide chemistry (including environmental applications), which is probably the closest to your inquiry about ionic compounds in ionic liquids. I am fairly certain it was not at the pithy "here are a few rules to remember" level, though.

I've never worked with ILs in any substantive manner, so hopefully someone more experienced will come around on this topic. Also, if you want me to run down my partially jogged memory for citations for the above, let me know.

Thanks Mike. Your suggestion regarding actinide/lanthanide chemistry in ionic liquids has turned up some interesting results!

1. What is the definition of solubility?

Solubility is the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in a solvent to form a homogenous mixture. It is measured in terms of the maximum amount of solute that can be dissolved in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. What is an ionic compound?

An ionic compound is a type of chemical compound composed of positively and negatively charged ions held together by electrostatic forces. These compounds are formed when a metal reacts with a non-metal.

3. What are ionic liquids?

Ionic liquids are a type of salt that is liquid at room temperature. They are made up of positively and negatively charged ions and have unique properties such as low volatility, high thermal stability, and high solvating power.

4. How can we predict the solubility of ionic compounds in ionic liquids?

The solubility of an ionic compound in an ionic liquid can be predicted using various methods, such as the Hansen solubility parameters, the Kamlet-Taft parameters, and the modified UNIFAC model. These methods take into account the chemical structure and properties of both the ionic compound and the ionic liquid.

5. Why is predicting the solubility of ionic compounds in ionic liquids important?

Predicting the solubility of ionic compounds in ionic liquids is important for various applications, such as designing more efficient chemical processes, developing new materials, and understanding the behavior of ionic liquids in different environments. It also helps in selecting the most suitable ionic liquid for a specific solute or process.

Back