How can i detenmine the size of generator fuel storage tank.?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the size of a fuel storage tank for three generators with different capacities. The total demand load is calculated to be 1758kW and the conversation explores converting this to btu/hour and then to US gallons for the purpose of calculating fuel consumption for 5 days. It is emphasized that the fuel efficiency of the engines driving the generators is crucial in determining the actual fuel consumption. Consultation with the manufacturer and referring to the spec sheets is recommended.
Mateen-ud-din
hi all,
i want to know that how can i determine the size generator fuel storage tank.
let suppose i have 3 generator and which capacity have 635kVA, 1250kVA and 700kVA...
and this generator will be operate 85%...
so its sum of kVA is 2585kVA and its 85% is 2197kVA and in kW is 1758kW.
Now i calculate my demand load is 1758...
so now i want to know that what's is size of my common fuel storage tank...?
as well as know that how many fuel will be consume at 5days...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
means i want to know that how many us gallon and liter consume in working 5days...?

The generator spec sheets will tell you the fuel consumption rate.

The manufacturer should be able to tell you the fuel consumption for a given output power level.
Have you consulted the manufacturer ? have you done any google searching for the data for the generator(s) ?

You have all the make and model info I would have to assume, you haven't told us any of that info

Dave

here i know that 1758kW is my demand load so
if may i convert 1758kW to btu/hour
and then required btu/hour convert to us gallon
so is it right way...
and if i find out us gallon / hour then i easily calculate for 5 days...
and then i easily look table of fuel storage tank in order to get dimension of tank
so is it right way or not..?

what Russ and I are trying to impress upon you ( well mainly me ;) hopefully Russ will agree with my assessment ) is that it depends on the fuel efficiency of the engine driving the generator... only the spec sheet will tell you that

eg. you may have one engine that burns 2 gallons an hour to produce 10kW from a generator where another engine may burn 5 gallons an hour to produce the same output

cheers
Dave

ok i see spec sheet
ok...thanks for suggestion

1. How do I calculate the size of a generator fuel storage tank?

To determine the size of a generator fuel storage tank, you will need to consider the fuel consumption rate of your generator, the intended duration of use, and the type of fuel being used. You can use a simple formula, which is fuel consumption rate (in gallons per hour) multiplied by intended duration of use (in hours), to calculate the required tank size.

2. What is the standard size for a generator fuel storage tank?

There is no standard size for a generator fuel storage tank as it depends on the specific needs and requirements of the generator. However, most commercial and industrial generators use tanks with a capacity of 500-1000 gallons. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size for your specific generator.

3. How much space is needed for a generator fuel storage tank?

The amount of space needed for a generator fuel storage tank depends on the size of the tank. A general rule of thumb is to leave at least 3 feet of clearance around the tank for maintenance and safety purposes. Therefore, if you have a 500-gallon tank, you will need a space of at least 10 feet by 10 feet.

4. Can I use an above-ground or underground tank for my generator?

Both above-ground and underground tanks can be used for generator fuel storage. However, there are certain regulations and considerations for each type of tank. For example, above-ground tanks are easier to install and maintain, but they are more susceptible to weather conditions. On the other hand, underground tanks are more expensive to install, but they offer better protection against weather and vandalism.

5. How often should I refill the generator fuel storage tank?

The frequency of refilling the generator fuel storage tank depends on the size of the tank and the fuel consumption rate of the generator. It is recommended to keep the tank at least half full at all times to ensure a constant fuel supply for the generator. It is also important to have a regular refilling schedule to avoid running out of fuel during an emergency or power outage.