Foucault Pendulum: Force & Motion Analysis

In summary, the Foucault pendulum is sensitive to centrifugal and coriolis forces. The first part states that it has a potential energy V and to find the force associated with that, the author uses the equation m \ddot{\vec{r}}= \vec{F} - 2 m \vec{\omega} \times (\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r})-m \vec{\omega}\times\vec{\dot{r}}. To simplify things, the author uses the zeta function to solve for \zeta(t). However, the author gets lost and is asking for help.
Gregg
This problem is about the Foucault pendulum. It is a mass, m, attached to a cable that does not restrict the motion. So it is sensitive to centrifugal and coriolis forces.

The first part states that it has a potential ## V = \frac{m \omega_0^2}{2}(x^2 + y^2)## and to find the force associated with that. To me this is a hint that you are going to use the equation

## m \ddot{\vec{r}}= \vec{F} - 2 m \vec{\omega} \times (\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r})-m \vec{\omega}\times\vec{\dot{r}} ##

The Earth rotates at ## \omega## ccw. The pendulum is located at the North pole and the co-ordinate axes are such that x points 90 degrees longitude and y 180 degrees longitude. I don't really understand how this makes a difference.

I decided that ## \vec{\omega}=\omega \vec{\hat{k}} ## which I am unsure about.

So for the above equation, since ## \vec{F} = -\nabla V ## and after some computation/approximation, i.e. ## \dot{z} ## is small.

## m \ddot{\vec{r}}= \vec{F} - 2 m \vec{\omega} \times (\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r})-m \vec{\omega}\times\vec{\dot{r}} \Rightarrow##

## \ddot{x} = \omega_0 x + \omega^2 x + 2\omega \dot{y} ##

## \ddot{y} = \omega_0 y + \omega^2 y - 2 \omega \dot{x} ##

Which seem OK for now.

Then we're given the hint to use ## \zeta(t) = x(t) + i y(t) ## to simplify things and hopefully turn it into a SHO problem with damping. Multiply the second equation by ##i##

## \ddot{x} + i\ddot{y} = \omega_0(x+i y) +\omega^2(x+i y) + 2\omega(\dot{y}-i\dot{x}) ##

## \ddot{\zeta} =(\omega_0^2+\omega^2) \zeta - 2\omega i \dot{\zeta} ##

Then plug in ## \zeta = \exp(\alpha t) ## get ##\alpha= \omega-\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\omega^2}## and from here it doesn't really get anywhere near the answer given.

First I assume that ##\omega^2 ## is really small.

## \zeta(t) = c_1 \exp(i (\omega + \omega_0) t) + c_2 \exp(i \omega - \omega_0)t) ##

But we are required to show that:

## \zeta(t) = e^{-i \omega t}\left[ \zeta(0) \left( \cos(\omega_0 t) + i\frac{\omega }{\omega_0}\sin(\omega_0 t)\right)+\frac{\dot{\zeta(0)}}{\omega} \sin (\omega_0 t) \right] ##

But I have no idea how to do this. I think that possibly I have made a mistake with the orientation of my axes or the angular velocity components. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like bumping but this is the third problem I have posted with hundreds of views and no replies. Any ideas? Need more information?

Gregg said:
This problem is about the Foucault pendulum. [...] The pendulum is located at the North pole [...]

I suggest you check out Joe Wolfe's derivation of the foucault pendulum precession

Like in the hints you've been given Joe Wolfe uses complex number notation to express the two coupled differential equations as a single equation. (In fact, I suspect the hints you've been given were inspired by that very derivation.)
By comparing you may well find where you go awry.

Joe Wolfe's derivation is for the more general case of any latitude. For the polar pendulum case the equations are simpler.Some general remarks.
A frictionless pendulum will have an equation of motion that is a function of position and acceleration, but no term with velocity.
When friction is approximated as proportional to velocity then the equation of motion will include a term with velocity.

The two coupled equations (of motion) of a foucault pendulum have likewise a term with velocity. (But in the foucault pendulum case the associated acceleration is at right angles to the velocity vector.)

Last edited:
Our solutions are identical up until the point where

## \ddot{\zeta} + 2i \omega \dot{\zeta } +\omega^2 \zeta = 0 ##

But I have no idea how to get to the final answer.

Cleonis said:
I suggest you check out Joe Wolfe's derivation of the foucault pendulum precession

As it turns out that was not good advice at all.
The last expressions on that page are messed up terribly.

I will use the following notation: the uppercase Omega (Ω) for the angular velocity of the Earth, and the lowercase omega (ω) for the period of the pendulum.

## \ddot{\zeta} + 2i \Omega \dot{\zeta } +\omega^2 \zeta = 0 ##

In the case where Ω=0 the equation reduces to the equation of motion for a pendulum with natural frequency ω.

In the above equation of motion only the Coriolis term is a function of the Earth's angular velocity. The term with ω squared relates to the period of the pendulum.

As to the final form you want/need to arrive at:
Clearly that has been elaborated to explicitly include starting conditions.
That expression becomes simpler for the case of releasing the pendulum parallel to the y-axis, and with zero initial velocity.

I haven't checked whether there are mistakes in that expression. I guess you shouldn't rely on it. If there are mistakes in it you'll have to find the correct form.

For comparison material I guess you need to dig around. Maybe with combinations of search terms such as 'foucault pendulum' 'derivation' 'complex', to try and find other derivations that use this method of casting the equation in complex number notation.

Last edited:
I don't really understand how to put the initial conditions in and get that final answer.

1. What is a Foucault Pendulum?

A Foucault Pendulum is a device that demonstrates the rotation of the Earth. It consists of a long pendulum with a heavy weight at the end that is suspended from a fixed point. As the pendulum swings back and forth, its direction appears to rotate due to the Earth's rotation.

2. How does a Foucault Pendulum work?

The rotation of the Earth causes a force known as the Coriolis force, which affects the motion of the pendulum. As the pendulum swings back and forth, the Coriolis force causes the direction of the pendulum's swing to gradually rotate, which can be observed over a period of several hours.

3. What factors affect the motion of a Foucault Pendulum?

The main factors that affect the motion of a Foucault Pendulum are the location of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the initial direction of the swing. The closer the pendulum is to the poles, the slower the rotation will appear. A longer pendulum will also rotate slower, and the initial direction of the swing will determine the direction of the rotation.

4. What is the significance of the Foucault Pendulum in science?

The Foucault Pendulum is significant in science because it provides evidence of the Earth's rotation, which was first observed by French physicist Léon Foucault in 1851. It also demonstrates the Coriolis effect, which is an important concept in meteorology and oceanography.

5. How is the motion of a Foucault Pendulum affected by the Earth's rotation?

The Earth's rotation causes the Coriolis force, which deflects the direction of the pendulum's swing. This deflection is only noticeable over long periods of time, as the Earth's rotation is relatively slow. The motion of the pendulum is also affected by the Earth's latitude, with a greater deflection observed at the poles compared to the equator.