Electromagnetism, Poynting vector

In summary, the conversation discusses a time-dependent electric field in vacuum and deriving an expression for the corresponding magnetic field. The relationship between the electric and magnetic fields is demonstrated through the use of dot products and the Poynting vector is also calculated. The conversation ends with a note on the correctness of the calculations.
shevchenko12
3 (a) ii) A time-dependent electric field in vacuum is given by
⃗E= E0(0, 0, sin(ky − ωt))
where E0 is a constant.
Derive an expression for the corresponding magnetic field ⃗B. [7]
Using curl E=-dB/dt
I end up with B=(E0/c)sin(ky-wt)
Show that both ⃗E and ⃗B are perpendicular to the wave vector ⃗k = (0, k, 0). [2]
Using the dot product i found that:
k.E=(0x0,0xk,0x ⃗E)=0
k.B=(0x ⃗E/c,0xk,0x0)=0
What is the Poynting vector for this wave? [4]

N=(ExB)/μ0μr

Then we get:

(1/μ0μr)((E0 2/c)sin(ky-wt)2,0,0)
Finally giving:
(-1/μ0.μr.c)(E02Sin(ky-wt)2)

I think the first two parts are right but have no idea if I am doing the right thing on the last part. I have used the cross product between E and B and got my final answer for part 3. Thanks for any help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
shevchenko12 said:
3 (a) ii) A time-dependent electric field in vacuum is given by
⃗E= E0(0, 0, sin(ky − ωt))
where E0 is a constant.
Derive an expression for the corresponding magnetic field ⃗B. [7]
Using curl E=-dB/dt
I end up with B=(E0/c)sin(ky-wt)
Show that both ⃗E and ⃗B are perpendicular to the wave vector ⃗k = (0, k, 0). [2]
Using the dot product i found that:
k.E=(0x0,0xk,0x ⃗E)=0
k.B=(0x ⃗E/c,0xk,0x0)=0
What is the Poynting vector for this wave? [4]

N=(ExB)/μ0μr

Then we get:

(1/μ0μr)((E0 2/c)sin(ky-wt)2,0,0)
Finally giving:
(-1/μ0.μr.c)(E02Sin(ky-wt)2)

I think the first two parts are right but have no idea if I am doing the right thing on the last part. I have used the cross product between E and B and got my final answer for part 3. Thanks for any help in advance!

Basically I see nothing wrong with what you did (except for possibly a sign error.)
But I'm not sure you took the dot-products right.
The E field has a z component so the B field has an x component & obviously each of these when dotted into the y direction of propagation gives zero. Is that what you wrote?

Erm, i think that's what i did. i knew that the dot products would give 0 as each one is along a different axis. Thanks for the reply btw, its good to know that I'm going along the right line.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electric charges and currents interact with magnetic fields and vice versa.

2. What is the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical tool used to describe the flow of energy in an electromagnetic field. It represents the direction and magnitude of the energy flow, and is given by the cross product of the electric and magnetic fields.

3. How is the Poynting vector related to electromagnetic waves?

The Poynting vector is an essential component in the theory of electromagnetic waves. It describes the direction and rate at which energy is transported by these waves through space. The magnitude of the Poynting vector is proportional to the intensity of the electromagnetic wave.

4. What is the significance of the Poynting vector in practical applications?

The Poynting vector is crucial in the analysis and design of various electronic devices, such as antennas and electromagnetic sensors. It helps in understanding the behavior and propagation of electromagnetic waves, which are used in communication, radar, and other technologies.

5. Can the Poynting vector be used to calculate the strength of an electromagnetic field?

Yes, the magnitude of the Poynting vector is directly proportional to the strength of the electromagnetic field. This means that by calculating the Poynting vector, we can determine the intensity and power of an electromagnetic field, which is useful in many practical applications.