Here's what I've got, where should I go now?

• Thread starter genericusrnme
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has read a wide range of textbooks in mathematics and physics, with a particular interest in quantum mechanics and the physics of the very small. They are currently reading Advanced Linear Algebra, Introduction to Manifolds, and Introduction to Statistical Mechanics. They are also interested in learning a programming language and would appreciate book recommendations. They have also been studying consistently for the past year and a half, with a 5 weeks on to 1 week off ratio, and have completed most of the exercises in the textbooks. They also mention that they have not neglected other aspects of their life.
genericusrnme
Here's a list of most of the textbooks I've read;
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - Mary Boas
Introuction to Linear Algebra - Gilbert Strang
Linear Algebra - Hoffman and Kunze
Theory of Sets - Bourbaki
Algebra I (the first third of) - Bourbaki
Mathematical Analysis - Tom Apostol
Principles of Mathematical Analysis - Walter Rudin
Princples of Quantum Mechanics - R Shankar
Modern Quantum Mechanics - JJ Sakurai
Classical Mechanics - Goldstein
Classical Mechanics - Landau and Lifgarbagez
Non-rel Quantum Mechanics - Landau and Lifgarbagez
Classical Field Theory - Davidson
Introduction to Tensor Calculus and Contuum Mechanics - J Heinbockel
Intorduction to Topology and Modern Analysis - George Simmons
Algebra: Chapter 0 (first half) - Paolo Aluffi
Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach - Peter Norvig (I did one of Stanford's online courses)
Introduction to Electrodynamics - David Griffiths
And of course, I've picked up some other bits and bobs along the way.
Currently reading (more than half way through);
Advanced Linear Algebra - Steve Roman
Introduction to Manifolds - Loring Tu
Introduction to Statistical Mechanics - David Chandler

What gaps do I need to fill in my knowledge? (I'm sure there must be many since my route isn't exactly the conventional one)
I'm mostly interested in physics, specifically physics of the very small althogh I've never really found a good textbook on GR to see if I like that. I'm also interested in maths, I'm quite enjoying the linear algebra and manifolds ideas too, so any reccomendations for either QFT/QED/whatever comes after you've done your basic QM, introduction to GR or book to go onto after I've finished Tu and Romans books would be welcome.
I'm also interested in learning some kind of programming language, so what books would be suitable for someone with my background?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for offtopic, but how much did it take to work through them all? Did you do a reasonable amount of exercises? Do you do this on your free time?

Over the past year/year and a half/at most two years I've been studying pretty much non stop on and off on a kind of 5 weeks on to 1 week off ratio. I do most of the exercises in the books, it really depends on how many are given, if there are a lot given then I'll skip a couple of the easier ones, if there isn't a lot I'll do all of them, and I also make my own problems and scenarios to investigate.
I do do this in my spare time although I have a LOT of spare time but I'm not neglecting other parts and people of my life.

You are missing E&M.

Jorriss said:
You are missing E&M.

Oh damn, I forgot a book!
I've also done Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics. I've heard good things about Jackson for a follow up textbook though so I'll probably do that once I've finished the books I am currently working on. I'd be happy to accept any recommendations for alternate electrodynamics textbooks though.
Thanks for the input none the less :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
I think that "Lectures on Quantum Theory: Mathematical and Structural Foundations" by Chris Isham should be supplementary reading for all physics grad students. Read the reviews at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1860940013/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thank you, it seems like quite a good book that teaches more 'theory' than simply solving PDEs. It's added to my to-do list!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest some Complex Analysis. Needham is inspired but Churchill & Brown is more applied.

1. What does "Here's what I've got, where should I go now?" mean?

This phrase is often used when someone is seeking guidance or direction in regards to a situation or problem they are facing. It implies that the person has some information or resources, but is unsure of how to proceed.

2. How can I determine where to go next?

The best way to determine where to go next is by gathering as much information as possible about your current situation. This can include data, observations, and advice from others. Then, you can analyze this information and consider different options before making a decision on your next steps.

3. How do I know which direction is the right one?

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to this question. The best approach is to carefully evaluate your options and consider the potential consequences of each. It can also be helpful to seek advice from experts or experienced individuals in your field.

4. Can I trust the guidance I receive?

This ultimately depends on the source of the guidance. If it is coming from a reputable and knowledgeable individual or organization, then it is likely trustworthy. However, it is always important to critically evaluate any advice or guidance you receive and make your own informed decision.

5. What if I still feel unsure about which direction to take?

If you are still unsure after gathering information and considering your options, it may be helpful to consult with other experts or professionals in your field. They may be able to offer valuable insights and advice to help you make a decision.