Recommending books for Diff. Geometry

In summary: I fear the latter might be too much for beginners.In summary, I would recommend Singer and Thorpe's book for beginning the study of differential geometry. It presents the subject in a modern, intuitive and accessible way, without sacrificing rigor.
Pazzo
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books for studying topics such as abstract manifolds, differential forms on manifolds, integration of differential forms, stoke's thm, dRham chomology, Hodge star operator. Our text is A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry by Spivak. But I think this book is very difficult for a beginner to learn... Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much both! I will go library and compare the two books.

The friendliest introductory book for the stuff you want to learn is

Loring Tu - An Introduction to Manifolds

But it can be "too friendly at time, and so my favorite is still the book recommended by WannabeNewton

Thank you quasar

Pazzo said:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books for studying topics such as abstract manifolds, differential forms on manifolds, integration of differential forms, stoke's thm, dRham chomology, Hodge star operator. Our text is A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry by Spivak. But I think this book is very difficult for a beginner to learn... Thanks in advance

What do you mean with "beginner"? What differential geometry do you already know? Do you read a book on curves and surfaces?
If you truly know nothing at all about differential geometry, then I fear that even Lee or Tu are not for you. You really need to see the theory in some special cases first before you do abstract manifolds.

Pazzo said:

Hi Pazzo

For beginning topology, calculus on smooth manifolds, homology theory, and differential geometry of surfaces I passionately recommend the book Lecture Notes on Elementary Topology and Geometry by Singer and Thorpe. This is an undergraduate text designed to teach the modern point of view. The authors are famous research Mathematicians and wonderful writers.

For differential geometry I benefitted from leaning classical geometry of surfaces as well. These books give a wealth of examples that you can visualize and spare you the burden of too much formalism. Struik's book is a classic but somewhat more modern books are Guggenheimer and I think Barrett o'Neil.

1. What are the key topics to look for when selecting a book on Differential Geometry?

When recommending a book on Differential Geometry, it is important to look for key topics such as curves and surfaces, manifolds, Riemannian geometry, and applications in physics and engineering. These are fundamental concepts that should be covered in any comprehensive book on the subject.

2. Are there any recommended books that are suitable for beginners in Differential Geometry?

Yes, there are several books that are suitable for beginners in Differential Geometry. Some popular options include "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo do Carmo, "Introduction to Differential Geometry" by Theodore Frankel, and "Elementary Differential Geometry" by Barrett O'Neill.

3. What are some good resources for finding reviews and ratings of books on Differential Geometry?

Goodreads and Amazon are popular websites for finding reviews and ratings of books on Differential Geometry. Additionally, academic websites and forums may also have discussions and recommendations from experts in the field.

4. Are there any online resources or interactive tools that can supplement a textbook on Differential Geometry?

Yes, there are many online resources and interactive tools that can supplement a textbook on Differential Geometry. Some examples include interactive visualizations, online lectures, and problem-solving guides. These can be helpful for further understanding and applying the concepts learned from the textbook.

5. Are there any specific editions or versions of books on Differential Geometry that are recommended?

The latest editions of books on Differential Geometry are generally recommended as they may have updated information and improved explanations. However, if a particular edition is highly praised by experts in the field, it may still be a valuable resource. It is important to research and compare different editions before making a decision.