Converting open strings to closed strings

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting open strings to closed strings in string theory and whether this could allow for appearing in other dimensions. It is mentioned that open and closed strings differ based on the boundary conditions imposed on their string function, with open strings being able to freely convert into closed strings. The distinction between bosonic strings and superstrings is also brought up, with the latter being able to produce both fermions and bosons.
eNathan
Is it possible to convert open strings to closed strings in string theory. Perhaps, we can convert out rest mass into gravitons, and appear in other dimensions. Is this a possibility? Or does string theory not predict this behavior?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am as newbie as they get when it comes to string theory. But, as far as I know open and closed strings differ by the boundary conditions imposed on the string function [itex] X^\mu(\sigma,\tau)[/itex]. The Dirichlet boundary conditions are imposed so that the endpoints do not "move" (e.g, the string ties two very heavy quarks). The Neumann boundary conditions allow movement (e.g, the string ties two light quarks). I fail to see how transforming one type into another would allow us to apper in other dimensions. :confused:

eNathan said:
Is it possible to convert open strings to closed strings in string theory. Perhaps, we can convert out rest mass into gravitons, and appear in other dimensions. Is this a possibility? Or does string theory not predict this behavior?

Open strings freely convert into closed strings and vice versa. This is analogous to particles interacting via processes described by feynmann diagrams.

These are bosonic strings; you evidently think that the distinction fermion/boson corresponds to open/closed. I suspect this comes from popular accounts of the boundary/bulk theory of why gravity is weak compared to the other forces.

However the distinction is between bosonic strngs, which produce no fermions at all, and superstrings, which can do both fermions and bosons. The graviton is the only "familiar" particle that bosonic strings produce; the structures of the standard model, where they are approximately realized by stringy constuctions are all from superstrings. So the boundary/bulk theory has superstrings that are confined to the boundary and bosonic closed graviton producing strings that aren't.

thank you VERY MUCH for making and answering this thread! Sorry for bringing back a deceased thread!

selfAdjoint said:
These are bosonic strings; you evidently think that the distinction fermion/boson corresponds to open/closed. I suspect this comes from popular accounts of the boundary/bulk theory of why gravity is weak compared to the other forces.

It would be nice if they would make this distinction in the popular accounts! If I hadn't read more technical (semi-popular would be a better term) works on the subject, I wouldn't have had any idea what you're talking about. There's a semi-popular book by a guy named Gasperini on pre-Big Bang superstring cosmology that specifies the difference between the bosonic string and superstrings.

1. What is the difference between open strings and closed strings?

Open strings are strings that are not attached or connected to anything at their ends, while closed strings are strings that are connected or looped back on themselves at their ends.

2. Why would you want to convert open strings to closed strings?

Converting open strings to closed strings can help create a more stable and consistent sound when playing guitar or other string instruments. It can also make it easier to play certain chords and can provide more tonal options.

3. How can you convert open strings to closed strings?

There are a few different techniques for converting open strings to closed strings, including using a capo, re-tuning the strings, or physically altering the instrument by adding frets or changing the bridge.

4. Is converting open strings to closed strings difficult?

The difficulty of converting open strings to closed strings depends on the method used and the skill level of the person making the conversion. Using a capo or re-tuning strings can be relatively easy, while physically altering the instrument may require more expertise.

5. Are there any downsides to converting open strings to closed strings?

Converting open strings to closed strings can change the sound of the instrument and may limit the range of notes or chords that can be played. It can also alter the feel and playability of the instrument. It is important to carefully consider the potential effects before making any conversions.