Best books for Pre-calc and calculus

In summary, the discussion focused on finding good books for learning calculus and advanced mathematics, with recommendations for books on precalculus and calculus. The conversation also touched on the benefits of using online textbooks and the potential for further study in upper division and graduate level mathematics.
AdrianHudson
Hello all! I am looking to dive into the world of calculus before my peers in high school, I am looking for some really good books for the knowledge leading up to calculus and then the whole spiel for calculus. I am guessing I am going to need a series of books for this learning en devour and I am ready for it, if I could just have a couple hints or nudges in the right direction it would be much appreciated :) :tongue: :smile:

P.S: I am looking for some pretty rigorous textbooks, it would be a lot more helpful if it isn't sugar coated, it will set me up for success in calculus that much more.

P.S.S: Books that lead up to university Calc-1 and Calc-2 would be lovely as well :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Student100 said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471756849/?tag=pfamazon01-20
for precalculus.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471153060/?tag=pfamazon01-20

for calculus is the only book I've gone through in great detail. It's a good every mans book and cheap. The proofs are all there and no steps are skipped. It's kinda lacking for calc three, but there's enough there to keep you busy for a long time.

Thankyou for the quick reply my man! This is going to be quite the exciting journey, I get bored way to fast with the current stuff we are doing bleh. This math and beyond is way more intriguing and tickles my fancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, I'd just like to add-don't skimp on the present by looking to the future.

bhobba said:
For Calculus check out the freely available book by Strang from MIT
http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/textbook/

For beyond that into multivariable calculus and linear algebra check out Hubbard's book - its simply superb:
http://matrixeditions.com/UnifiedApproach4th.html

Thanks
Bill

Thankya for the links! The only problem I have with online textbooks is I don't have a hard copy, to me its a lot easier having a real physical textbook in hand.

As for that textbook by Hubbard would I read that after I read the textbook from Anton ?

AdrianHudson said:
As for that textbook by Hubbard would I read that after I read the textbook from Anton ?

Yes.

Its specifically designed for once you have grasped calculus at the level of Calculus BC in the US system, IB Math HL in an IB program, or if you are in Australia like I am, you did both math B and C (which is roughly equivalent to US Calc BC).

Its so good it will take you to math well into upper division university subjects, and even graduate level with things like Lebesque integration and differential forms. I learned Lebesque integration final year uni and differential forms by self study, but if you study Hubbards book you will have a truly wonderful foundation in calculus and analysis (analysis is calculus done carefully - sometimes called doing your epsilonics). Just as an aside when I did my degree you had to do analysis first year, but so many people hated it they removed it and it became a graduate level elective - which I always thought was a great pity.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the best books for learning Pre-calc and Calculus?

Some of the best books for learning Pre-calc and Calculus are "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Precalculus" by Michael Sullivan, and "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart. These books are highly recommended by educators and have been proven to be effective in teaching the concepts of Pre-calc and Calculus.

2. Are there any online resources for learning Pre-calc and Calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning Pre-calc and Calculus. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and Paul's Online Math Notes. These websites offer free tutorials, practice problems, and interactive lessons to help students grasp the concepts of Pre-calc and Calculus.

3. How do I choose the right book for my learning style?

Choosing the right book for your learning style can be subjective. It is important to consider your strengths and weaknesses in math, as well as your preferred method of learning (visual, auditory, hands-on). You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from teachers or other students to find a book that suits your learning style.

4. Do I need to buy multiple books for Pre-calc and Calculus?

It is not necessary to buy multiple books for Pre-calc and Calculus. However, some students may find it helpful to have different resources for different topics or to have extra practice problems. It is important to prioritize quality over quantity when selecting books for learning Pre-calc and Calculus.

5. Can I use older editions of Pre-calc and Calculus books?

Yes, you can use older editions of Pre-calc and Calculus books. While some concepts and topics may have changed over the years, the core principles of Pre-calc and Calculus remain the same. However, it is recommended to check with your teacher or professor to ensure that the older edition covers the required material for your course.