Does using the em field generated by flowing elctricity cause V drop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the electromagnetic field from high voltage transmission lines to power a "charged train" through a tube, similar to a solenoid but on a larger scale. The concept is compared to a linear motor, and the efficiency of linear motors is questioned. The conversation also touches on the force and power ratio of linear motors and traditional electric motors, and the importance of efficient coupling in a self-contained rotational motor. The potential for energy loss and the efficiency of different motor types is also mentioned. Overall, the conversation delves into the concept of utilizing the electromagnetic field for work and the complexities of comparing the force and power of different motor systems.
Badazbuilder
I was wondering if you were to use the em field caused by electricity flowing through a wire or coil to push a magnetic or object would you effect the flow of power in the line. Like if you were to wrap a one phase of transmission lines around a solenoid type device to use the em field to push a magnet, would you experience power lose, voltage drop or ? in the electrical flow through the line? Also i am licensed electrician but not a college educated electrical engineer, so my terminology may not be 100% on, but I believe this all falls in the realm of inductance. I was basically pondering whether it could be possible to use the power flowing in high voltage transmission lines to power a "charged train" through a tube powered by using the em fields from wrapping these power lines around a "tube" to cause a magnetic push through the tube. Similar to solenoid but on a much grander scale. I get many interesting ideas like this well doing the more mundane aspects of my job and figured it couldn't hurt to ask the pros, but please remember that i am not a engineer so complex formulas may answer the question but help me understand. thanks all happy holidays

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes it could be done , but power doesn't come from nowhere , yes the current flow would be affected and given sufficient power consumption voltage would decrease too.

Basically , If I get ti right what your thinking , it sounds like a linear motor , look up linear electromotors or linear motors, the maglev train works kinda similar , these devices use the changing em field created by current running through coils to push a physical object in one way or the other.

Likes 1 person
yes, after looking into linear motors it seems to be similar to my line of thinking. i was also wondering whether the power consumption to force ratio in linear motors is any better than a traditional electric motor. if you were to say run a chain through the field to create a chain driven system would you get a better ratio from power used to force created. I know there is very little power used when stepping voltage up or down voltage through a transformer and which basically works off inductance through generated em fields. i know you are not creating a force in a transformer and its different ball game but wouldn't you experience less resistance from wind drag and friction in a linear push then in a traditional rotational electric motor. And again thanks crazymechanic. you pointed me in the right direction. if i have time maybe ill post a sketch to help explain my line of thinking.

well , if you think about any physical air drag or other factors then I think a properly made both linear and typical electric motor has almoust no loses of that kind , ofcourse if you don't attach a giant propeller to it.

About the force, every wire , especialy the one which is part of a coil would it be a motor or transformer or an electromagnet experiences force , the force comes from the magnetic field which is created by the current that passes through the wire/coil.
If you look closely youll see that in both electric motors and transformers the coils are not only laminated but in good devices they are also filled with a sticky and rather strong kind of chemical , paraffin in older models , which is there to prevent coil shaking or ringing or any other physical oscillation that may arise due to magnetic field forces.

No way to use the field caused by current in a line to do work without "V drop". If you couple to the field, you remove energy from the primary wire when you use it to do work.

The best physical system is that which provides the best coupling. A linear motor gives you linear motion without gearing and rotational to linear translation. The problem is getting efficient coupling, which is easily achieved in a self contained rotational motor.

Badazbuilder said:
yes, after looking into linear motors it seems to be similar to my line of thinking. i was also wondering whether the power consumption to force ratio in linear motors is any better than a traditional electric motor.
etc.

It is not valid to try to compare or relate Force and Power in different circumstances. The two are not really related, unless you also consider the movement and speed involved.
What you probably want is figures for Efficiency of the various types of motor.

1. Does using the EM field generated by flowing electricity cause V drop?

Yes, the use of the EM field generated by flowing electricity can cause a V drop. This is due to the presence of resistance in the circuit, which results in the conversion of some of the electrical energy into heat and decreases the voltage level.

2. How does the EM field generated by flowing electricity cause V drop?

The EM field generated by flowing electricity causes V drop by inducing an electric field, which creates a potential difference in the circuit. This potential difference leads to the flow of current, and as the current passes through the resistance, it experiences a drop in voltage.

3. Can the V drop caused by the EM field be minimized?

Yes, the V drop caused by the EM field can be minimized by using conductors with low resistance, reducing the length of the circuit, and increasing the diameter of the conductors. Additionally, using materials with higher conductivity can also help reduce V drop.

4. Is V drop the only effect of using the EM field generated by flowing electricity?

No, V drop is not the only effect of using the EM field generated by flowing electricity. Other effects include the generation of heat due to resistance, electromagnetic interference, and the creation of a magnetic field.

5. Can V drop be completely eliminated?

No, V drop cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural consequence of using the EM field generated by flowing electricity. However, steps can be taken to minimize its effects, as mentioned in the previous questions.