Electric Charges Scatter Light

In summary, the detection of electrons passing through one slit or the other in the double slit experiment is achieved through the use of a strong light source placed between the two slits. This is possible because electric charges scatter light, allowing the electrons' paths to be visualized with the naked eye. This effect is known as Thomson scattering and can be explained using classical physics. It is also responsible for making the sky blue and sunsets red.
zoobyshoe
Reading about the double slit experiment in Six Easy Pieces I came across something I had questions about, which is how they detect whether an electron has gone through one slit or the other:

"To our electron apparatus we add a very strong light source, placed behind the wall and between the two holes, as shown in Fig. 6-4. We know that electric charges scatter light. So when an electron passes, however it does pass, on its way to the detector, it will scatter some light to our eye, and we can see where the electron goes."

p.127

I am wondering what the explanation is for this effect (the effect being: electric charges scatter light), if it has a name, and if it means that photons have a charge or if the electron is interacting with it electromagnetically, or if something else is going on. Is this actually visible with the naked eye? If so, what does it look like? History? Anyone know who discovered this? Somehow, I've never run across mention of this effect before.

(I'm asking this effect in and of itself, not in its implications to the double slit, which Feynman covers to my satisfaction.)

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
Reading about the double slit experiment in Six Easy Pieces I came across something I had questions about, which is how they detect whether an electron has gone through one slit or the other:

"To our electron apparatus we add a very strong light source, placed behind the wall and between the two holes, as shown in Fig. 6-4. We know that electric charges scatter light. So when an electron passes, however it does pass, on its way to the detector, it will scatter some light to our eye, and we can see where the electron goes."

p.127

I am wondering what the explanation is for this effect (the effect being: electric charges scatter light), if it has a name, and if it means that photons have a charge or if the electron is interacting with it electromagnetically, or if something else is going on. Is this actually visible with the naked eye? If so, what does it look like? History? Anyone know who discovered this? Somehow, I've never run across mention of this effect before.

(I'm asking this effect in and of itself, not in its implications to the double slit, which Feynman covers to my satisfaction.)

Example: Compton scattering.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Example: Compton scattering.

Zz.
Thanks, Zz. Google has a wealth of information now that I know the name of it.

The low energy, long wavelength, scattering of a photon by an electron can be treated classically. It is called "Thomson scattering", and is given in most interemediate UG or grad EM txts.

Yes, I was going to say (to Zoob) that it's a useful thing to have the classical picture in your head. Watch me wave my hands :

EM wave incident upon charged particle ---> charged particle accelerated by (sinusoidal) Lorentz force ---> oscillating charge radiates in all directions and decays to ground state ---> radiated energy ~ absorbed energy ---> scattering = light absorbed and re-radiated at (nearly) same frequency but different directions

Meir Achuz said:
The low energy, long wavelength, scattering of a photon by an electron can be treated classically. It is called "Thomson scattering", and is given in most interemediate UG or grad EM txts.
Indeed, Meir Achuz, googling "compton scattering" lead me to "Thompson Scattering" and "Rayleigh Scattering". The Thompson scattering seemed most to be describing the scattering mentioned by Feynman, and I was struck by how "classical" all of them were.

Gokul43201 said:
EM wave incident upon charged particle ---> charged particle accelerated by (sinusoidal) Lorentz force ---> oscillating charge radiates in all directions and decays to ground state ---> radiated energy ~ absorbed energy ---> scattering = light absorbed and re-radiated at (nearly) same frequency but different directions
A nice nutshell version, Gokul.

Gokul43201 said:
Yes, I was going to say (to Zoob) that it's a useful thing to have the classical picture in your head. Watch me wave my hands :

I would add to the above scheme, in the last step, that the scattered wave is born from the interference between the first incoming EM wave (the no absorbed part of it) and the re-radiated wave.

Best Regards

DaTario

By the way, it's the scattering of light that makes the sky blue and sunsets red, so you can see it. In that case though it is nitrogen and oxygen molecules doing the scattering.

mmwave.

1. How do electric charges scatter light?

Electric charges scatter light by interacting with the electromagnetic waves that make up light. When light passes through a material, its electric field causes the charged particles in the material to oscillate, creating a new wave that is scattered in all directions.

2. What is the relationship between electric charges and the scattering of light?

The scattering of light is directly related to the strength of the electric charge. The larger the charge, the greater the scattering effect. Additionally, the distance between the charges and the wavelength of the light also play a role in the scattering process.

3. Can different types of electric charges scatter light differently?

Yes, different types of electric charges can scatter light differently. This is due to the fact that each type of charge has a different strength and distribution, which affects how it interacts with light waves. For example, positive and negative charges may scatter light in different directions.

4. What are some real-life applications of electric charge scattering light?

Electric charge scattering light is used in a variety of technologies, such as optical sensors, photovoltaic cells, and displays. It is also the principle behind spectroscopy techniques used in chemistry and physics to analyze the composition of materials.

5. How does the intensity of light affect the scattering of electric charges?

The intensity, or brightness, of light does not have a significant impact on the scattering of electric charges. The wavelength and polarization of light are the main factors that determine how electric charges scatter light.