Proving a perfect square with factorials

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a certain expression is a perfect square. The expression is nC2 + (n-1)C2 and it can be expanded into two fractions. The person is unsure about how to proceed and is asking for guidance. Another person suggests pulling out terms to cancel the factorials on the bottom, while the original person also considers adding the fractions first.
Coldie
The tex seems to be showing different problems than the ones I'm typing... maybe it's just me, but if what I'm talking about doesn't seem to make any sense, please quote my message to see what I've actually typed in the tex tags.

If n is a positive integer and n > 1, prove that nC2 + (n-1)C2 is a perfect square.

Now, expanded, this is what they look like...

[TEX]\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!} + \frac{(n-1)!}{2!(n-3)!}[/TEX]

I'm not sure whether to multiply by the denominators or whether I'm simply supposed to try to simplify each one on its own, or a combination of the two. Moreover, I'm certain I'll still have at least one factorial left when I'm through, and how can I prove that any function with a factorial in it is a perfect square? Could someone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to pull a few terms out of the top so that you can cancel the factorial on the bottom.

Do you mean expanding the n! on the top with both functions until the (n-2)! on the left one and the (n-3)! on the right one cancel out the one at the top?

That should work, but I think it's a little easier if you add the fractions first. I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I was assuming you were stuck at the step you mentioned where you had one term with factorials in it, and I was going from there.

Last edited:

1. How do you prove that a number is a perfect square using factorials?

To prove that a number is a perfect square using factorials, you need to find the prime factorization of the number. Then, if each prime factor appears an even number of times, the number is a perfect square. This is because when you multiply two of the same prime factors together, you are essentially taking the square root of the number.

2. Can you provide an example of proving a perfect square with factorials?

Yes, for example, let's take the number 36. Its prime factorization is 2 x 2 x 3 x 3. Since each prime factor appears twice, 36 is a perfect square.

3. Is it possible for a number to be a perfect square without having an even number of each prime factor?

No, it is not possible. In order for a number to be a perfect square, it must have an even number of each prime factor. Otherwise, it would not be possible to take the square root and get a whole number.

4. Are there any other methods for proving a perfect square besides using factorials?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the properties of square numbers or using the long division method. However, using factorials is a commonly used and efficient method for proving a perfect square.

5. Can you prove that a number is not a perfect square using factorials?

Yes, you can prove that a number is not a perfect square by finding its prime factorization and checking if any of the prime factors appear an odd number of times. If this is the case, then the number is not a perfect square.