Particle/Anti-Particle question

• Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date
In summary, particles can be entangled with their antiparticle partners, even for pairs that include photons. This has been demonstrated in experiments such as BaBar and Belle, which use entanglement to measure CP violation. However, there is no way to prevent the particles from annihilating, as they are produced in pairs with high velocities and can only be entangled while flying apart.
mgiddy911
Can a particle say an electron, be entangled with its antt-particle partner, a positron?
So could this happen for any particle antiparticle pair? I know that entanglement is often talked abut pertaining to photons, so could a photon and anti-photon be entangled?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no distinction between photons and antiphotons, i.e. they are they same.

Yes, you certainly can entangle a particle/anti-particle pair. I don't know if this has ever been done with electrons (and, as mathman said, it's not a relevant question for photons), but take a look at the description of the BaBar and Belle experiments. Their measurements depend on entangling pairs of [tex]B^0/ \bar B^0[/tex] mesons. It's a very cool example of something that was once a novel result (EPR correlations, i.e. enganglement) becoming a tool for measureing something else (in this case, CP violation).

How do you keep the particle/antiparticle from annihilating before entanglement? How could they be entangled after annihlation, the annihilation products could be different for each particle?

Thanks for the information, the reason for me asking in the first place was similar to the last poster's question about anihilation. If the entangled pair were to anihilate after entanglement would anything be different from a normal anihilation?
Sorry about my spelling

Nothing prevents them from annihilating. In fact, the way you entangle them in the first place is by producing them in pairs from collisions or decays of other particles (sort of reverse annihilation), and they then fly apart. If you like, that's what keeping them from annihilating, the fact that they are produced with high velocities traveling in opposite directions.

1. What is a particle/anti-particle question?

A particle/anti-particle question refers to the concept of particle-antiparticle pairs in physics. According to quantum mechanics, for every particle there exists a corresponding antiparticle with the same mass but opposite charge.

2. How are particles and antiparticles related?

Particles and antiparticles are related through a process called annihilation, where a particle and its corresponding antiparticle collide and are converted into pure energy. This is the reverse of the process of pair production, where energy is converted into a particle-antiparticle pair.

3. Can particles and antiparticles exist separately?

No, particles and antiparticles cannot exist separately as they are created in pairs. If one is present, the other must also be present in order to conserve energy and charge.

4. What is the significance of particle-antiparticle pairs?

The existence of particle-antiparticle pairs is significant because it helps explain the balance of matter and antimatter in the universe. In the early stages of the Big Bang, equal amounts of matter and antimatter were created, but as they annihilated each other, a small amount of matter was left over which formed the building blocks of the universe.

5. How are particle-antiparticle pairs studied?

Particle-antiparticle pairs can be studied through high energy particle accelerators, where particles and antiparticles are accelerated to near-light speeds and then collided. The resulting energy and particles can provide insights into the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.